Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 28-Jun-2005, 16:40

748s Rocker arms

Has anyone had problems with the rocker arms of their bike.
If so is it due to not warming bike up and what is the average cost of each arm?

Any information would be appreciated.
Old 28-Jun-2005, 16:41
Dibble

see your 1st thread .......
Old 28-Jun-2005, 17:40
888 at Last !!!

Firstly welcome, but this is where the good news ends ....

There are hundreds of rocker arm threads if you search this message board. Problems have been found on the most papered of models. Not warming up could be one of the factors but others include:

* Faulty plating of rocker arms
* Rockers cracking and breaking
* Over-revving

And probably many others.

Cost per arm - hold your breath - £81 + vat + all the labour to change the offending items. So there's an opening and closing rocker per valve, 4 valves per head, 2 heads - 16xRocker arms. If you need them all it's £1290 + vat + labour.

I only needed 1 opening and 1 closing but others here have had them all replaced and some just one. I hope it's low for your wallets sake.
Old 28-Jun-2005, 18:05
Ducati Corse

I didnt appreciate untill recently what the problems actually are with the rockers. It appears that either the chrome crack and flakes off or it just simply wears away.

Spot on valve clearances, good clean oil and a good warm up before thrashing it appear to help.

Also there appear to be good un and bad uns.
Old 28-Jun-2005, 20:57
Big Twin

no hope>

As has been said, there's loads of threads on this subject.

This is one of the best. All the points arising are covered here:

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/xm...7823#pid160367
Old 29-Jun-2005, 00:50

Took my 748 in for it's 3yr service and mot after the bike started playing up.Phone call today says rockers are knackered,and cost £90 each for new ones,can this be right on a bike that's only done 8000 miles,or are Ducati using crap parts.Not a happy person.
Old 29-Jun-2005, 05:23
Ducati Corse

8000 miles in three years is not very much. The problem in this case might just be lack of use, long periods when the bike is standing will drain oil away from the rockers.

Still shouldnt happen but appears to be less of a problem on bikes that get used.
Old 29-Jun-2005, 12:15
888 at Last !!!

Steve - i had the same problem - my bike is pampered and I still needed rockers. I spoke to the mechanics about it and they've seen every 748/9xx with problems similar. It's been happening for years.

You could contact Ducati UK and enquire about some sort of compensation. My bike has only 7700 miles (2001 model) also, so not riden that much. I have heard of some people being able to get Ducati to pay for the parts and you pay for labour. A good deal if you can get it.

All the best and let us know what happens.
Old 29-Jun-2005, 21:39
Big Twin

Mood: happy bike passed MOT
The older motors iere testastretta when started the oil takes on average 90 secs to be circulating fully through the heads especially the rear.

when i started my 748 i pressed the button and left the throttle alone and moved off when the temp needle started to move 5 mins max, still my rockers still needed replacing so it must be a quality control issue .

BUT as i noticed at most rideouts even the surrey meet on sunday when people were starting their bikes up as soon as the starter was pressed the bikes where being revved up ok it may sound good with the termis on but is it doing the engine any good ????
Old 30-Jun-2005, 11:15

I've written a letter to Ducati today, both in this country and Italy,and expressed my disgust that things like this should be happening.I could understand it if the bike had done loads of miles,still lets see what they say. Might have to be a jap bike next year when I change,god I hope not.