Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Jul-2005, 20:41
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
multi strada v\'s supermoto

i'm considering swapping my KTM Duke for a multi strada. Already got a 999 for quick A road riding but like having a lighter throw around bike like the KTM for wet, spring/autumn days and more bumpy b roads. Problem is I'm now doing more riding and the KTM isnt much use for more than 60 miles out and back. Multi strada seems to make sense but i'm worried about how heavy it is and how it'll perform in the wet.

Has anyone swapped from a supermoto to a multi strada and if so what do you think about it??
Old 12-Jul-2005, 21:07
Big Twin

Mood: Proud to own a Ducati :0)
Servicing costs make it an expensive switch.

What about a KTM SuperDuke or 950SM???
Old 12-Jul-2005, 22:07
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by Twinfan
Servicing costs make it an expensive switch.

What about a KTM SuperDuke or 950SM???

yup, but i need to be able to carry luggage, plus superduke only has 70 - 80 mile tank range so you would run out if i was in north west scotland ( my mate has one and loves the bike but hates the tank range), 950SM has zero wind protection, can't see me ripping up M6/74 at 90 mph and then being able to enjoy the roads. A 950 Adventurer is just too big and bulky

been offered a reasonable deal on an MS and it seems to fit the bill.
Old 12-Jul-2005, 22:09
Big Twin

Have a go on mine if you want next time I'm up your way? You need not worry I wont expect a go on the 999s! I am frightened of riding one in case I want one.
Old 12-Jul-2005, 22:18
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Servicing isn't that bad, Lily's mate had one and his first service (6000 miles) was about 200 quid! Bargain in Ducati terms
Old 12-Jul-2005, 22:19
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by MARTIN H
Have a go on mine if you want next time I'm up your way? You need not worry I wont expect a go on the 999s! I am frightened of riding one in case I want one.

thanks for the offer Martin, i've already booked a ride at the dealer for later in week, i might even ask for rain

i quite like th Duke cos i'm not worried about dropping it, its all cheap and easy to fix, bit different to a 999 though anyway, you'd hate a 999 on the roads you like to ride.
Old 13-Jul-2005, 01:05
Big Twin

I find the Multistrada a lot more confidence inspiring in the wet than my 996s was, spent a lot of time this winter/spring riding up your way with my mate chasing me in his Caterham and found myself going a little bit quicker than I would have liked in the damp/slimy conditions but soon realised I could go a good bit quicker than I would have managed on the 996.

I know I WOULD like a 999 if I ever rode one as I loved my 996 but I hated the pain and discomfort on a good run out (a sunday run would usually be 400 miles virtually all of them on b roads)

I love the Multistrada I really do but I do still get the urge for a heads down sportsbike from time to time, the most enjoyable of my annual French trips was definitley the one I made on the 996 it was the hardest one after previously doing the same on R1s, Blackbirds, Fireblades etc. I did enjoy last years trip on the MS but there are a lot of great roads down there that were ideal for a 996/999 or whatever and I really fancy putting up with the discomfort for my next trip and doing it on a sportsbike.

I think a 996/998/999 and a Multistrada are an ideal pair of bikes to have the best of both worlds.

Give me a shout next time your having an hour or two out and I will nip up your way for a bit of a run. Meet up with you at Brough?
Old 13-Jul-2005, 08:17
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally posted by MARTIN H
I think a 996/998/999 and a Multistrada are an ideal pair of bikes to have the best of both worlds.
They certainly are!
Me 'ol mate Sparkin summed the MTS up as the best bike ever to ride in the rain.He's right,the bike is very sure footed and gives you heaps of confidence.
The Multi is gonna be a lot heavier and bigger than the supermoto,but just as much fun to ride.
Old 24-Jul-2005, 00:34
500SD

******** to the luggage, this is what you want