Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 16-Jul-2005, 20:14
Big Twin

broken kush drive

ive just gone to adjust the chain tension in prep for trackday on monday at brands to find one of the ksh drives at the rear of the sprocket has been rubbing the hub a bit.

i can only sumise that the rubber is broken inside at i cant borrow a 40mm socket til tomorrow to get it apart.

Question

can i drop out the broken kush drive and run with just the remaining four around the sprocket? bit of dare ?

problem is getting one before monday if not.

anyone got a spare near me?
Old 16-Jul-2005, 20:37
Big Twin

is it rubbing because of the cush rubber or has the circlip behind sprocket carrier on hub shaft, worn the grove alowing sprocket to run closer to the swing arm??
Old 16-Jul-2005, 21:36
Big Twin
Bikes: Kawasaki ZX10r D6f, Dawes XC2.4, Planet X Superlight Pro Carbon

Mood: aving a laff
If it is visible Bungi will know what it is I am sure.

Best option would be to get a replacement Bungi but I would not run with one missing personally.
It might do more damage than good with there not being properly spaced out cushions for the drive of the chain/sprocket to go through?

Would also be good advice I think to replace them all.

Wheres your nearest dealer?
Close enough for a visit tomorrow?
Old 16-Jul-2005, 21:54
Big Twin

from what i can see without yet having taken it to bits yet (coz no 40mm socket till tomorrow) is that one of the round kush drive rubbers has started to work its way out of the back of the sprocket and the metal rim to the kush rubber is rubbing on the cahin adjuster part of the hub.

problem is tomorrow is sunday, all dealers i think are closed, monday is track day
Old 16-Jul-2005, 22:03
Big Twin
Bikes: Kawasaki ZX10r D6f, Dawes XC2.4, Planet X Superlight Pro Carbon

Mood: aving a laff
Kent is a long way or you could use one of mine.

If it is just the one, is no one local that might be willing to loan you one, I had some spares from the last set I bought but binned em earlier this year as I thought the rubber might have gone off by now.

And mate you need a 41mm not a 40mm
Old 17-Jul-2005, 00:38
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
After removing the sprocket carrier Knock the offending cush drive back into place and then dot punch around the edge of the hole it is located in to syop it working its way back out.
Should get you through the trackday
But to get it apart you will need a 41mm socket not a 40mm one
Old 17-Jul-2005, 10:50
Big Twin

41mm - 40 mm ? as long as it fit eh?

I have actually used a 40mm for some time on this nut, its a large 3/4 drive industrial one, clearly there is some discrepency in the size, often cheap sockets are a bit generous when made, but this fits just fine

punch around the hole is a good idea, i think i might go for that idea, if not il have to rob one off the 996 r and treat her to some new ones later. thanks
Old 18-Jul-2005, 09:32
Mille
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Enjoying a REAL summer!
I had this happen just before a CSS day last year, replaced the offending cush drive and 3 others that looked dodgy as I could only get my hands on 4 spares in time.

The 5th one let go in the second session and I ended up hiring an R6 for the rest of the day...

Moral of the story - replace them all as a set - when one goes, the writing is on the wall for the rest!

Giles