Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 07-Apr-2006, 14:49
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
New 999!

Just got a copy of this wekks MCN and seen the proposed new 999.

At last someone in the factory has read one of my posts on here and dun wot eye suggested.

916 top fairing, 916 swinging arm, 916 pipes, dare I say that I could even think about getting one.

Spose I had better get a couple of posts done so that we can have a nice tasty single to go with the twins!
Old 07-Apr-2006, 14:54
Big Twin

Mood: This is a carbon free zone!
Mixed opinions me thinks

http://217.199.188.40/xmb/viewthread.php?tid=31613
Old 07-Apr-2006, 22:02
500SD

Mood: Firing on all 4 !!
I am going out on a limb here, but i would put money on the fact that if ducati remade the 998 it would still outsell the current bikes and boost profits no end.
I understand that things change as do fashions but sales figures speak for themselves.
Even if the 998 got the new engine and a redesign of the wiring in a 999 manner it would sell bucketloads - i for one would be buying my first new bike from them. I also understand that it would look defeatest going backwards, but who cares ? its a fantasticly pretty bike and always will be. there is another 10 years in sales as demand for a pretty twin will always be there (hell even honda made a pretty twin with the SP1, shame the motor didnt stir the soul)
Old 07-Apr-2006, 22:11
Big Twin

I do like the new look 1200 but the only bit I am not keen on is the headlights !

but apart from the asking price I would have one
Old 08-Apr-2006, 19:15
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
There was never much wrong with the 998. All it needed was to lose some weight. Everything else was right. The 999 hardly offers anything more in performance does it?
Old 09-Apr-2006, 06:32
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Come on folks,get real here.The 916 shape bikes had reached the end of the line for two reasons,....emission/noise regs and racing.
The 996/998s would have to be fitted with a cat in the exhaust to meet the emission regs.Where would they put it?Make the cans bigger and longer,or fit a bloody great box under the swingarm like the S4R or Multi?
The MCN bike is a cgi mock up.If the new bike really has twin exhausts,I reckon it will be fake ones like on the Multi.It will just be a big box silencer with two outlets.
The single sided swinger had to go because Ducati Corse wanted a swing arm that was lighter and stronger for WSB racing.
Same as the fairing,Ducati Corse wanted something more aerodynamic,hence the long pointy nose of the 999.
It really will be a step backwards if they fit all the old stuff back on.
Old 09-Apr-2006, 08:11
GTL
Bikes: 998R, Panigale S

I have to say, that Ducati shouldn't go backwards.

Personally, they couldn't go far wrong with applying a version of the desmoseideci style inanticipation of a house style for when the V4 is addedd to the range. Mind you, at the rate they are going the choice for me is likely tol be V4/pensioners buspass/V4/buspass......
Old 09-Apr-2006, 08:31
500SD

Mood: Firing on all 4 !!
emmisions and noise regs are not exactly a problem though are they ? they use the same motor pretty well, and the 998 with standard pipes is no louder than a 999.
I agree things move onwards and upwards, but sales figures cant be wrong. people are voting with thier walllets. Granted there are a some ducati purists who will buy anything the factory put out at whatever price and thats cool, but the other 95% want a bike that suits thier lifestyles and wallets. Personally i dont feel the need to have the latest biggest bhp bike on the planet, if i did i wouldnt be here. Mine may be an old clapped early 916 but it suits my needs, is plenty quick enough, has the looks and heritage and is a joy to ride even if it does show its reluctance to be reliable when you need it most. But i accept the bike for what it is - tommorow true classic.
Ok the 749/999 is a very good bike but secondhand prices say it all for me. look at the 749R what a bike, loaded with some tasty bits and how do we say - prepped for the circuit and very track friendly with its allowances for sensors etc etc, but as a road bike its a bit of overkill IMO
999 bp is a superb road bike and seems reliable over its older brother which is a good thing so why are sales slow ? perhaps the change in market climate and fashions? or so many new good jap bikes on the market ? have things moved on so quickly? people are fed up with paying stupid OTR prices and high maintenance costs for a bike that loses money to quickly and ducati's marketing with next years S becomes the base the following year resulting in a huge loss of value.
Park a 998S next to a 999S and while pretty close at the moment i bet in 5 years time the old one will be more desirable and worth more secondhand.
Dont get me wrong, i hope a slight revamp of the 999 makes a massive difference to sales figures, but why not ditch production of the real slow sellers and make say 3000 units of the old 998 per year to sell ? i bet they would fly out each year to your average joe like me who wishes he bought one when they were around.
Saying that i bought my first brand new bike yesterday - a new 06 CBR600RR. granted its hardly exclusive, but it will keep miles off my 916 and RC30, be dirt cheap to run, and wont lose £3000 per year in value if i dare take it out and heaven forbid - use it, plus i am pretty confident i know i can insert the key and it will go. If i fancy being daring then i can wheel out the RC or the old duke to relive old times.
Old 09-Apr-2006, 09:49
Ducati Corse

Quote:
By crm250
Saying that i bought my first brand new bike yesterday - a new 06 CBR600RR. granted its hardly exclusive, but it will keep miles off my 916 and RC30, be dirt cheap to run, and wont lose £3000 per year in value if i dare take it out and heaven forbid - use it, plus i am pretty confident i know i can insert the key and it will go. If i fancy being daring then i can wheel out the RC or the old duke to relive old times.

Same here Paul - exactly why I bought the Fireblade. The 996 is for special days and holidays now.
Old 09-Apr-2006, 11:04
Big Twin

Mood: I've just ordered a new bike and its a ..
Hear hear,

But if Ducati produced a v4 at a reasonable price(no not £15.000)without the big bang configuration but with under engine exhaust (R6) and Italian design flair and without stupidly expensive service costs...........................

Sorry i've just woken up from having a wonderful dream!!!!

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit