Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-Apr-2006, 18:26
Mille

ENGINE CUTTING OUT

My 998s engine has an anoying fault of cutting out, it does it about once every 50-100 miles. It did it twice today. The first time I was doing about 60 mph and the engine cut, I coasted to the side of the road and turned it off, when I turned it on again it started first time.
The second time I was doing about 10 mph, the engine died and I got to the side of the road, when I turned it back on there was no sound from the fuel pump so I swiched it off and back on again and it fired.

Anybody know where to start looking - I suppose the fault could be with the ecu or is it the sidestand switch or kill switch ? or what

Roachman
Old 17-Apr-2006, 18:34
Big Twin

Mood: DD 2006: 4th Top Rookie. DD 2007: 2nd Class B. DD 2008: 2nd Class B.
is it fuel. i had the same problem with honda i had the breather on the tank got blocked and so presure built up in the tank so petrol never got to the cylinder i know it sounds strange but it was it took me years to work it out. the bike would cut out just like your saying then start up fine after pulling over for a few mins. try the filter too
Old 19-Apr-2006, 09:54
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Check your battery connections, not unknown for them to get a bit mucky and or loose.

When the motor cuts does the tacho slump immediately to zero and the lights die?

If so you are looking at a bad battery connection in my experience.

Ray