Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 19-Apr-2006, 13:01
DSC Membership Sec. & BHCN R.O.
Webteam
Big Twin
Bikes: None at the moment

Mood: Feeling old...
UK to Down Under

Serious question for once...

My better half and I are considering leaving the UK for a new life in Australia. I have a possibility of a job in Perth, but I'm a bit put off by how isolated it is.

Any comments or advice, anyone who's been to Perth, anyone who's from Perth.. Anyone who's ever considered selling up and emmigrating?

Oh, and will Nelly come and collect my bike for it's service??

Thanks in advance for any advice
Martin
Old 19-Apr-2006, 13:09
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
My best mate went to start a new life in Perth. Quickly found out that life is life with it's ups and downs wherever you live it and came back after a couple of years - being remote was one of his reasons.

No support network either, unless you've already got family and friends out there you have to make a whole new bunch of people you can turn to.

Aus has doubtless got a lot going for it, I've never been there, but I know quite a few Australians and communicate with them through work on a daily basis. I too have been offered a role in Melbourne a few years back. Tempting, but I think most people get suckered into thinking that a fresh start and a new life will put all their cares and woes behind them. It won't, I'll still be a miserable old git wherever I go.

Oh yeah....it's a feck of a way from Grafham as well

[Edited on 19-4-2006 by Jools]
Old 19-Apr-2006, 13:25
Ducati Corse

Ditto what Jools said. I lived in Perth for about 8 months. No matter how distant you think you are to your family and friends its so hard to realise they they just can't pop round and visit.
Perth is very isolated, 20 miles of city and suburbs then nothing for 3000 miles. No good biking roads either! The city is set up very like the US, on a grid system. Perth City centre is just two long streets of shops.
Good points, well its clean, everything works, the weather is fantastic if you like serious heat !! (they say WA has the climate that California would like to think it has). Houses are cheap, food is cheap, no MOT system for cars, road tax inclused third party insurance but you need it for trailers and caravans as well.
Bad points, very high income tax, plus taxes on almost everything else you can think of like writing cheques, driving licences etc.

If you like the outside lifestyle, don't have close family and can stand 40 degrees in the summer then i'd say go for it.

Personally i think the east coast has more to offer.
Old 19-Apr-2006, 13:51
Big Twin

Martin - I've an accountant friend (Ian) who emigrated just before christmas and a work colleague who went last spring.
If you want further local details other than those you already have I'm sure I can get Ian to mail you.
Old 19-Apr-2006, 13:57

I'm a kiwi, been living in the UK for over 4 years. I've alway's moved around with the philosophy that your home town will alway's be there and if it turns to rubbish in your new country, you can move back (my parent's emigrated with us from the UK in the 60's!). You never know until you have a go, and you wouldn't want to live life wondering what might have been.
Plus if you get to Aus and don't like Perth, you will be perfectly placed to check out the east coast too.
I've got a brother who lives in Melbourne and he's forever raving on about how good the roads are around there for biking, plus there's Philip island which is huge during the races.
Also, don't worry that your friend's will think your a loser if you end up coming back. The good one's won't, and will be happy to see you again!
Old 19-Apr-2006, 14:10
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
I've never been to Perth but I've lived in most places along the east coast.

I know it's not the West Coast but if you want to ask me a few questions u2u me and I'll pass on my phone number.

How fitting I just happen to be working from home today sitting here in my Wallabies jumper

I might not get back to you until this evening though, I'm going to have to step out soon.
Old 19-Apr-2006, 14:18
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by TP
I'm going to have to step out soon.

Will you be long??

Promise??

Old 19-Apr-2006, 14:47
Ducati Meccanica

Spent Feb in Perth and I loved it.

I don't much care for cities but Perth was quiet enough for me to feel happy about going into the city.
I like the lifestyle, the outdoors, the freedoms, and the relaxed attitude.

I like the lack of greed that appears to be there, free bbq's, friendly assistants, no back to back queuing and chocablock roads.
Granted it was 40 deg some days and I was up in the hills overlooking Perth so it was a bit hot at times, but it's only a couple of months of the year.

I guess it depends on what you want and the lifestyle you already lead. For me the fact that the nearest other civilisation is many hundreds of miles away doesn't bother me.
I only go into the local town about 3 times a year, if that!
I'm not interested in clubbing and night life, much prefering to have friends around or visit friends.

The pound gets a lot of dollars too at the minute and thats a bonus.

So I went thinking it would be too hot for me to live there, I went out thinking I wouldn't like it. I came back thinking about booking my next trip

Would I live there ? Take my 3 kids and ship us all to the other side of the world ? - Oh yes !
Old 19-Apr-2006, 17:08
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 916 Senna, 748RS Corse, 1098s Race

Mood: walking on sunshine.....
As an Aussie living over here...well..

I was born in Perth and grew up in Adelaide then lived in Melbourne/Qld/NT for work.

Yes it's far away, people in Perth love it for that, fantastic beaches and wine country, remote harsh beauty of the outback etc. Good value for money and a nice lifestyle.

Just go....you can always come back, better to have tried and changed your mind than while away the hours wondering what if?
Old 19-Apr-2006, 17:11
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
how tempting...

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit