Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-May-2006, 21:29
Big Twin

It\'s worth every penny!

I was feeling quite pleased with myself the other day when I repaired my rectifier wiring

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/xm....php?tid=33005

and as soon as I started her up afterwards, it felt like a different bike. The misfiring and bad running seemed to have gone, and I thought that was the end of that.

Well that lasted about 24 hours.

Then the misfiring was back with a vengeance. Re-checked my handiwork on the rectifier just to be on the safe side, but all seemed well there. Came to the conclusion that there was another fault somewhere. But fuelling, ignition, WTF?

Had the bike booked in with louigimoto anyway to have a new clutch basket and hub fitted. Checking my records, the hub's been there since 30k, miles; I thought it was longer, but that's not bad.

The STM basket was a bit worn, but the plates were fine; I guess that's what happens when you run steel plates in an ally basket. The basket did 13k miles, but, as I say, I could have stretched that out a bit.

Didn't take long to fit the clutch, but louigi had a pig of a job sorting the bad running. Culprit seemed to be the throttle position sensor. Unfortunately the only 2nd hand one louigi had turned out to be even worse than mine so a new one was fitted. Some difficulty then in getting it to idle correctly, but eventually it was running sweet as.

Of course TPS's are ridiculously expensive for what they are, but it's a job that had to be done. I couldn't have gone on holiday with the bike in the state it was in.