Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-May-2003, 17:20
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
New airbox how easy to fit?

well the carbon airbox has been sitting gathering dust in the garage, the weather forecast does n't look good for the weekend so perhaps I should spend some time and get it on?
I've got my Haynes book, is there anything else I should know before I start? Not sure that I want to unplug the alarm, so can I leave the seat attached, and still get the tank off? How long should it take me?
Old 22-May-2003, 17:24
Mille
Bikes: Red Ducati 848

Mood: Feeling Great :-)
Ian, dont do it. They look rubbish, and are really hard to fit. I'll take it off your hands for £50, oh go on then £60.

lol, lucky man it will look great once on.
Old 22-May-2003, 17:43
Ducati Meccanica

i thought when i saw the reply, good, somebody is going to tell me it's a 5 minute job.

Carbon air tubes next, a hugger, black frame plugs, then what?
Old 22-May-2003, 18:40
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
You\'ll have trouble with Weeksy\'s directions.....

If you dont remove the 4 airbox fixing screws before you try to remove it!!!

There's also an oil breather pipe that connects to the airbox that you'll need to pull out.

You'll need to remove the seat to get good access to the tank fixing bolt at the back of the tank.

It is a pretty straightforward job, just give yourself 1/2 hour or so, follow Weeksy's directions, read the manual first and give it a go.

Also, when you're putting the tank back on, be sure to put a dab of grease around the o-rings on the fuel union connectors, this'll reduce the risk of damaging these o-rings.

Good luck
Tim
Old 22-May-2003, 18:51
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
You'll still have problems if you leave the two remaining airbox screws in place.......there are 6 :P

good advice with the grease on the fuel connector seals though.
might still be worth getting a couple of new ones "just in case"
Before you screw the tank down though, lift it slightly, turn on the ignition a couple of times and look for any leaks with the fuel system pressurised.
Old 22-May-2003, 19:56
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Doh!!!!!!

Old 22-May-2003, 21:52
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Come on guys it isn't that hard-I had to remove the airbox on my old 996 at the side of the road in the Appenines...............
Anthony the muppet-who now owns it-had dropped the key down the side of the tank and the only way to get to it was to remove the tank and airbox. We even managed it with the standard tools in the toolkit!

John
Old 22-May-2003, 22:00
Ducati Meccanica

thanks guys, helpful as ever, - i thought the weeksy description looked too simple, I smell a rat though, - each of you take turns to lull me into into a false sense of confidence by first making it sound easy, - and then more bolts, - and then more, - are you sure there are no rivits in there? So Ok the job is on this weekend, - I can tell the wife " i am just out in the garage, back in half and hour".

and big thank you to Nelly for getting me the Shell oil, - wonderful service. I should have come to you in the first place, - and spent the hours that i was driving between Shell garages doing the airbox instead???!!
Old 22-May-2003, 23:40
Mille

Mood: Rossi-tastico!
I cant remember exactly if you have to remove the metal spring clips from the old airbox or the old airtubes when you replace them with the carbon items.....it was a few years ago when I fitted both carbon airbox and tubes....

He, he quite funy reallly coz now you dont know whether youll need a drill, a 3 or 4 mil drillbit, a pop-rivet gun and four pop-rivets (or is that 8 pop rivets)!!
Old 23-May-2003, 10:07
BSB Star
Bikes: 998s, Jota, KTM 690 Duke

Mood: My Jota goes rumpety rump! & I have my wife exactly where she wants me!
Air boxy thingy removal!

If its any help I removed the airbox from my 998s so that I could fit carbon air tubes and a JHP under tank filter system and had no problems at all (removing the box that is!) but I would advise you to remove the seat as weel just to give better access.

If anybody needs my thoughts on fitting the above, please ask as it was quite an interesting experience.