Ducati Sporting Club
Home Calendar Gallery Membership Online Shop DSC Blogs Extras
Go Back   Ducati Sporting Club > Model Specific - Discussion, Technical Problems and Help > 998 / 996 / 916 / 748
Reload this Page Clutch Pressure Plate Movement
Forum Home Register FAQ Search Forum Recent Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-May-2015, 01:07 PM
r15suk's Avatar
DSC Member r15suk r15suk is offline
DSC Club Member
Mille
 
Posts: 179
Join Date: Jul 2010
Clutch Pressure Plate Movement

Can anyone please tell me the distance the pressure plate should move out when the clutch lever is pulled fully in?

I've heard that the movement should only be 1 - 1.2 mm

cheers
Simon
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-May-2015, 06:57 PM
dunlop0_1's Avatar
dunlop0_1 dunlop0_1 is offline
Registered Forum User
Big Twin
 
Posts: 1,564
Join Date: May 2009
Not sure about the measurement but I like to be able to turn the pressure plate with my fingers with the lever pulled back.

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-May-2015, 11:03 PM
r15suk's Avatar
DSC Member r15suk r15suk is offline
DSC Club Member
Mille
 
Posts: 179
Join Date: Jul 2010
Thanks for the info. Mine is moving so much that the end friction plate pops out of the basket :-0
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-May-2015, 06:27 AM
dunlop0_1's Avatar
dunlop0_1 dunlop0_1 is offline
Registered Forum User
Big Twin
 
Posts: 1,564
Join Date: May 2009
The hydraulic movement of the push-rod/cylinder should not alter as it is fixed. If anything wear or air in the system would create less movement. Sounds more like the stack is incorrect/rusty/dirty or has too many plates. Possible drum issue so It really needs a complete strip down.

Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-May-2015, 12:58 PM
r15suk's Avatar
DSC Member r15suk r15suk is offline
DSC Club Member
Mille
 
Posts: 179
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlop0_1
The hydraulic movement of the push-rod/cylinder should not alter as it is fixed. If anything wear or air in the system would create less movement. Sounds more like the stack is incorrect/rusty/dirty or has too many plates. Possible drum issue so It really needs a complete strip down.


Stack height is correct as spec 38mm (Haynes) and its quite new. The issue only came about when I fitted a lever with a greater span adjustment and could pull it back to the bar further. This translated into more clutch movement and off popped the plate. I have an Oberon slave fitted so maybe this allows more piston movement and hence more rod movement..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-May-2015, 10:28 PM
skidlids's Avatar
DSC Region Organiser skidlids skidlids is offline
MotoGP God
 
Posts: 18,172
Join Date: Apr 2002
Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
what clutch spring caps do you have


Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-May-2015, 06:27 AM
dunlop0_1's Avatar
dunlop0_1 dunlop0_1 is offline
Registered Forum User
Big Twin
 
Posts: 1,564
Join Date: May 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by r15suk
Stack height is correct as spec 38mm (Haynes) and its quite new. The issue only came about when I fitted a lever with a greater span adjustment and could pull it back to the bar further. This translated into more clutch movement and off popped the plate. I have an Oberon slave fitted so maybe this allows more piston movement and hence more rod movement..


I think you have answered your own question.

Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-May-2015, 10:29 AM
r15suk's Avatar
DSC Member r15suk r15suk is offline
DSC Club Member
Mille
 
Posts: 179
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
what clutch spring caps do you have

After market ones, but I'm not sure of the make. Can this make a difference?

cheers
Simon
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-May-2015, 01:16 PM
antonye's Avatar
DSC Member antonye antonye is offline
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, DD-A
 
Posts: 12,706
Join Date: Feb 2002
Mood: Passion Killer
If you've still got your originals it's worth comparing them to make sure they're the same depth. The 1098 and Hypermotard (and probably others) have different depth spring caps to change the clutch setup so you may have the wrong ones.


I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!! | Avanti Race Parts
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-May-2015, 01:36 PM
r15suk's Avatar
DSC Member r15suk r15suk is offline
DSC Club Member
Mille
 
Posts: 179
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by antonye
If you've still got your originals it's worth comparing them to make sure they're the same depth. The 1098 and Hypermotard (and probably others) have different depth spring caps to change the clutch setup so you may have the wrong ones.

Thanks for that, i'll see if I still have them.

Cheers
Simon
Reply With Quote
Reply
  
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Recent Posts - Contact Us - DSC Home - Archive - Top
Powered by vBulletin 3.5.4 - Copyright © 2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. - © Ducati Sporting Club - All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:37 AM.