Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Dec-2003, 12:42
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
Has anyone tried Supersport ignitions on their SS?

Has anyone tried one of these?

http://www.900ss.com/

If so, what did you think of it?

thanks,
Chi
Old 10-Dec-2003, 16:43
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Very interesting post........I was planning to fit Dyna ignition coils to my long suffering 900ss - the ignition system seems a little too complex for my liking.

If they were at least based in the UK and parts were close at hand it might be worth a go.

Cheers - Frank
Old 11-Dec-2003, 20:10
Big Twin

Frank - is it the original system or the posted system that looks too complex?

I'm usually happy to be a guinea pig for these things but thought I would check with the vast experience on these boads first.

I'll get details of pricing, shipping and fitting details and post them up.

cheers
Chi
Old 12-Dec-2003, 23:17
WSB Hero

Hi there,

the new ignition system seem O.T.T. to me for normal use. If you are planning major engine/exhaust mods it might be worth it IMHO....

try checking with either Chris Kelly at http://www.ca-cycleworks.com or our very own SHAZZAM here in the DSC, both seem very, very knowledgeable about these things.

Regards - Frank

[Edited on 12-12-2003 by Iconic944ss]

[Edited on 12-12-2003 by Iconic944ss]
Old 13-Dec-2003, 11:00
Big Twin

thanks Frank. I've not heard back from the guy so I don't know if he still sells them.

My problem is that my bike was bought with quite a lot of modifications already (baines twin plug head, high comp pistons, modified exhaust system) and I'm not sure how well matched they are.

I'm at the point where all round usability, reliability and comfort are more important than peak power and razor-sharp handling (I'm going through an early-life crisis). If this sounds like an argument for a Japanese bike - and that's what the Bandit is for!!

cheers, Chi
Old 13-Dec-2003, 12:22
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Chi, not got a SS myself, but did once own a highly tuned CB900F, which had to go through a lot of ignition system mods to get it to rev out properly. First step was to go EV race tip plugs, then CirCycle coils and larger cored Silcon HT leads, each of these mods got me approximately 500rpm nearer to the redline. In the end I went to see Mistral engineering in Stoke Newington and purchased a new ignition Box off them, this cured the problem and was the same unit as developed for Howard Lees and the Bike Magazine Endurance racer. As Frank says maybe Dyna coils and Taylor leads are the first step along with good race type plugs. Rewiring the coil feeds looks like a sensible move. But I would have thought John Baines would be the first person to talk to about it all

http://www.silenthektik.com/page33.html
Old 13-Dec-2003, 19:45
Big Twin

thanks for the pointers skidlids.

As with so many of the half-finished projects in my life, I will end up going to the experts and handing over a fistful of readies.

Gets a bit pricey this ducati lark
Old 13-Dec-2003, 22:58
WSB Hero

Excellent advice Skidlids.....

Strangely enough I contacted Baines racing after discovering an old article on a trick Superlight they put together.

I was asking about getting some flatside Mikuni Carbs for my 900ss (which has a big bore kit to 944cc) - Baines seem very, very knowledgeable and I guess you have an ideal excuse to start with them, having a twin plug head already.

Just a thought - you might care to start with a Dyno run with some sort of combustion gas analysis at the same time to find out how close you are with your existing set-up.....

FInding somewhere good of course, is a totally different kettle of fish !!!!!!

Good Luck - Frank
Old 13-Dec-2003, 23:02
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
always worth posting on here and canvasing opinion. Would it be possible to fit bits off a later model Ducati such as a SSie or ST2.
No idea what sort of cost those Supersport ignitions are, bet they're not cheap, if you have Keihin Smoothbores as well there is probably more dosh involved than a complete 2nd hand setup of a fuel injected bike.
Old 14-Dec-2003, 06:06
Big Twin

good idea skidlids.

I always been a bit scared of efi because I can't take it apart to see how it works, but if someone else is doing it....

Baines would be like going to mecca for my bike but they're a bit far. I have found tec-moto to be really good. Tim (mechanic) is a great guy and knows his stuff (to my untrained eye at least). Reasonable prices and, for those of you in London, will pickup and drop off FOC.

cheers, Chi