Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Dec-2003, 14:30
500SD

Mood: I can live with backpain!
Blowing fuses

I've noticed that the brake light fuse keeps blowing on the 750ss -but only when the headlight are turned on.
While I can fix basic things myself I cant really diagnose any more complex faults than perhaps a flat tyre,so if any of you guys can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.
Ah!,electrical faults,welcome to the real world of Ducati ownership.
regards
Dave
Old 09-Dec-2003, 17:39
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Finding Short Circuits

A blown fuse is a result of a short circuit that occurs when electrical current shorts to ground thereby bypassing the circuit components. Short circuits are most likely to occur where the insulation has worn through due to wiring chafing on a component, allowing a direct path to grounded components such as the frame and anything bolted directly and indirectly to it.

First, check that all electrical components in the circuit are OFF. Then remove the circuit fuse and connect a test light, buzzer or voltmeter (DC scale) across the fuse terminals. No voltage should be shown.

Then, move the wiring from side to side while observing the test light or meter. When the test light comes on, buzzer sounds or meter shows voltage you have found the cause and location of the short. It will usually show up as damaged or burnt insulation.

If the wiring checks OK, perform this same test on each component in the circuit, including the switch.

Ref: Haynes manual
Old 09-Dec-2003, 20:36
500SD

Mood: I can live with backpain!
Thanks shazaam.I'll try to have a look this weekend,if it was a recurring fault with an obvious solution one of you guys must have dealt with it before,but having dealt with shortouts before I'm not looking forward to testing half the wiring loom.
I dont know if there would be any reason for the fuse to go only when the lights are also switched on,would it be overloading somewhere specific?
D.