Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 06-Jan-2004, 17:57
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
LCD display

The last few times I’ve had the bike out in the rain the lcd display has gone very faint, but soon returns to normal. Today it diapered utterly. Is it dead, has anyone else had this problem? If it does come back to life anyone know what the problems likely to be or a cure for it.
Thanks
Glyn
Old 07-Jan-2004, 23:33
500SD

Mood: Christ been away too long....
Yes I did - last winter was the same (hasn't done it this year so far).

It actually reset once (unit went all '0's with the whole lot lighting up and then faded completely) in really cold / damp weather, I let it sit in the garage for a day or so, and used a hairdryer on the unit itself (from a distance) and on the engine management unit under the seat, as it spluttered a few times as well. I also re-charged the battery.

Sorry bit of a crap answer I know but I never really got to the bottom of which one of these sorted it. Since then I have also fitted higher grade spec power and earth cables...not conclusive I'm afraid.
Old 08-Jan-2004, 18:47
Ducati Meccanica

mines slowly come back to life
getting a bit clearer every day.

i'll have it off at the weekend and see if it can be waterproofed a bit better,as it seems to be the wet with mine rather than the cold.
cheers.
Old 08-Jan-2004, 19:11
everton

Quote:
i'll have it off at the weekend and see if it can be waterproofed a bit better,as it seems to be the wet with mine rather than the cold

Oh thank God...............I just read the rest of the thread.............thought I'd gone on to another thread about Jenna James or whatever her name is
Old 16-Jan-2004, 18:11
Ducati Meccanica

seems to have done the trick

took the lcd unit off the bike, cracked the back open as it seemed to be sealed with glue. bit scary but if it didn't work i think id have hed to buy a new one sooner rather than latter.
i then used silicon sealent around the inside of the screen. and resealed the back with silicone aswell.
seemed to take a few days to fully dry out as i got a bit of mist inside for a day or two.
but since then ive been in some stunning downpours, snow aswell. and as of yet the lcd has been working fine
Old 18-Jan-2004, 08:33
Mille

Mood: Back on the bike
Bloody daft design, as the steam that comes off the rad. when it has been wet drifts up into the back of the lcd and condenses into the lcd unit.

I have had two of thse things, but the elephant snot silicone is the way to go.
Old 18-Jan-2004, 09:08
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
As well as the obvious "Electroincs of any kind don't like water, LCD's are temperature dependant at the extremes. If very cold they will not respond and look as if they are not working, sometimes dim as you say and recover as the temp comes up. Play a hair dryer (not to close) over the display and it'll perk up. If you get them too hot, it'll go the other way and be completely black.

Care!!!!
Old 26-Mar-2004, 16:58
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
If anyones interested Ill have a brand new one of these still in its box saturday ....on offer for a steal !!!

Nat