Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 13-Jan-2004, 21:55
Mille

Mood: All SP'ed up at the moment
Headlamp question

Hi Guys,
I have noticed that the inside of the glass of my SL headlamp is a little cloudy, before I take to it with the spanners, could anyone tell me if the headlamp unit glass splits from the body to allow me to clean or is it a sealed unit ????
Thanks in advance

Ian
Old 13-Jan-2004, 22:39

think it's a sealed unit got the hump with mine as i couldn't see a thing at night so went for the twin headlamp conversion still have the original i'll check for you and asap
Old 13-Jan-2004, 23:11
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Hmmm, pretty sure it is a sealed unit at th efront although obviously you can still change the bulbs etc....

putting some sillica crystals in for a while or similar to absorb any moisture might be a temporary fix but it sounds like damp is getting in somewhere

Good luck - Frank
Old 14-Jan-2004, 13:36
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

They nearly all seem to develop a white cloudiness sooner or later. This seems to be a fine deposit which settles on the lens and reflector.
The glass is bonded to the reflector so you can't take it apart but I managed to clean mine 99% by part filling it with hot water with a little washing up liquid and shaking it like mad. Afer repeating this a couple of times I rinsed it with clean water to remove all the detergent, shook as much water out as possible and left it glass up for a couple of hours to drain. I then left it glass down over a radiator for a coulple of days to allow any remaining moisture to evaporate. After this it looked almost like new.
Whatever you do don't touch the silvering on the relflector. It will mark very easily and may even come off where you touch it.
Old 14-Jan-2004, 18:55
Mille

Mood: All SP'ed up at the moment
Thought as much
Think your method sounds the best derek, as I say its more of a cloudy film than any sort of moisture
Thanks for the replies

Ian