Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Feb-2004, 22:58

Carrying stuff

I have started planning my summer hols, ie jump on ferry and see where I end up.
My old throwovers would wreck the paint/plastic of the back end and do not fit the bike very well anyway.
This wasn't a problem on my last bike as it had no bodywork on the back.
Any good suggestions for carrying luggage on the back? (small camping kit)
Recommended makes/types of throwovers and how to protect the paint etc...
ps bike is a 1000ds ss
Old 09-Feb-2004, 23:49
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
if u travel lite, without camping kit try a whoppa bag from baglux, can get u good discount.

If carrying more try ventura rack and bag(s) from motohaus marketing, plus a tank bag.

If it won't fit in these throw something away as u have packed too much and u won't need it all.
Old 09-Feb-2004, 23:58
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Some of the anti-slip webbing that can be bought cheaply in rolls at most hobby shops makes a good base and helps prevent seat / bodywork damage

Frank
Old 11-Feb-2004, 11:04
Big Twin
Bikes: 996 race bike

Mood: Almost over it.
I have a Ventura rack and bag on my 750ss. I would say I am averagely happy with it.

It was a complete pain to fit. The parts didn't quite seem to fit properly. Infact I had to get Motohaus to send me a new part for one bit that was wrong. Finally got it sorted though - and not by me!

Second thing is to be careful when putting the rack on and off the support stubs! I use my bike/rack everyday and so far I have managed to put 3 chips in my paintwork while taking the rack off. Basically it becomes such a tight fit that when lifting/levering it off it eventually comes with a great rush and if you're not forcing straight upwards it'll hit the paintwork.

Another thing is that the bag and support, when there's no pillion, is supposed to be located above the rear of the seat. However, due to the rack and my grab rail not being compatible - that is the grab rail stops the rack from being fitted in place - I have to used it in the "two up" position and the weight then ends up quite a ways back. No detrimental effects to far though.

It doesn't do a great deal for the looks of the bike either, but then again it doesn't look totally awful.

Ventura gets about a 6 or 7 out of 10 from me. It's certainly better than carrying a backpack everyday.

Phill

[Edited on 13-2-2004 by phillc]
Old 11-Feb-2004, 19:34
Regional Organiser - BHCN
Ducati Corse

Mood: Raring to Ride
Richard, Last year I went to Spain for a week on the 900SS ,although we B&Bd it I carried more than enough stuff useing the Oxford Sports Panniers you can pick these up for about £65 . A sheet of that plastic web material protected the paint work and I suffered no damage at all. You will have plenty of places to hold things down with the aid of a few bungies . Tent could be laid in between on the pillion it will look OK and should have no ill effects on the handling of the bike at what ever speed you wish to travel at. Fordie

[Edited on 11-2-2004 by Fordie]
Old 14-Feb-2004, 01:11
Montjuic

Mood: i'm hungry
Quote:
Originally posted by FordieA sheet of that plastic web material protected the paint work and I suffered no damage at all.
[Edited on 11-2-2004 by Fordie]

what's that then? is that the same stuff the missus uses to line the veggy drawer in the fridge - a rubbery mesh type stuff?