Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 17-Feb-2004, 13:43
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
non standard pipe choices

Hi guys, me again.

Any of you lot got non-standard pipes fitted to your ST4/ST4s?
If so, whose make are they and how do they compare quality/loudness wise to the standard pipes, and maybe an 9x6 with standard/termis.

I'm unsure of the differences between a set of carbon DP silencers, or termis.

I've been looking at the DP carbon kit, which includes silencers, airbox/filter, chip, front/rear sprockets.
Is this a road legal pipe, or will I need to slap some BS AU stickers on them

Just trying to get all my options straight,
and figure out the final price for either an 03 or 04 ST4S and a multistrada.

Btw, anyone got a pic of a yellow ST4S ??

Cheers,
John.

[Edited on 17-2-2004 by John W]
Old 17-Feb-2004, 13:55
Ducati Corse

Got the insides taken out of my standard pipes and a JHP chip. Sounds awesome.

Might have a problem on later bikes which have a cat?
Old 17-Feb-2004, 17:45
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I've got a set of Sil Motor cans on my ST2. they sound very fruity from the saddle, but no too loud, and I'm told they sound really good when following my bike.

I'm also told that Sil Motor make the OE cans for DP. They're not road legal, I doubt you'll find any nice sounding cans that are (I haven't seen any manufacturers who do those removable baffle cans for ST's yet). You're better off just using dodgy cans rather than trying to pass them off with a BS AU sticker. If Mr Plod is picky enough to do you for the cans you'll just get a smallish fine. If you've slapped a deceitful sticker on, you can attract a far more serious charge. I forget what...probably something like 'perverting the course of justice'

The smaller front sprocket is a must IMHO, otherwise the gearing is just way too tall

There's a yellow ST4S here follow the colours link and change it to yellow.

That's the new bike of course, but Monty posted a picture of his bike albeit with the bottom fairing and seat panels painted black, so that's roughly what a pre-04 bike looks like in yellow

[Edited on 17-2-2004 by Jools]
Old 17-Feb-2004, 17:51
500SD
Bikes: 999 Mono/1198S

Mood: Messing with diagnostics
Pipes

I've got DP carbon pipes on mine with an open airbox conversion and K&N filter (Came with the cans). Dealer fitted. They were too loud so I have fitted some 50mm db reducers from Tecmoto. The cans free the bike up loads cos there are no Cats. (Not homologated though). I got these in May 2002 and no ECU was supplied as it is supposed to self adjust. Best thing was - they were free from Ducati UK.
Old 18-Feb-2004, 12:08

John W,

I bought a new pair of titanium cans from Red Racing in June last year. Made by 'G & G Racing', they have a removable baffle which changes the noise from deep and throaty but not too anti-social to VERY, VERY LOUD - enough to set off the odd car alarm when you pull smartly away from rest. They are straight through and really surprised me at how very much lighter than the standard cans thery are.

I only put a few hundred miles on them before I bought a Hayabusa in July. Haven't ridden the ST4S since - I know it's a 'rice-burner' and has no heart or soul and all that stuff but at the moment I'm utterly hooked on it and a total slave to it's incredable acceleration. Sorry for being so rude and mentioning "Hayabusa" on a Ducati site!! I accept it's not cool.

Anyway, the pipes fitted easily and quickly and I think the quality is good with beautifully accurate and consistent welding. (I'm a Chartered Mechanical Eng. so am generally fairly critical of this type of thing.)

They are not stamped as road legal and don't think they would be even with the baffle. I'd sell them with or without the bike if anybody has an interest

Dave
Old 19-Feb-2004, 09:26
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
John W, I have Ducati Performance cans and airbox mod on mine, sounds awesome, not TOO loud, bit like a 996 on Termi's. When riding the bike you only really hear the air intake anyway, everyone else gets to hear the cans. The 14 tooth gearbox sprocket mod is a must on an ST4S-they are very overgeared as standard. My bike is yellow but then you will have seen that since Jools has posted the photo for me-(thanks Jools).

John
Old 19-Feb-2004, 18:04
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
John,

I've same sat up as monty on my st4s and echo,echo,echo,echo his comments.

I've got copies of b4 and after dyno charts if u r interested. I'm too stoopid to be able to post them on the site but can manage to get an adult to stick a stamp on letter and send copies if u want.
Old 23-Feb-2004, 12:03
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
Thanks for the info people, and thanks bdg for the offer of the plots.

I visited P&H with the missus at the weekend, and while we didn't test ride anything we had a good look over and sit on the 03 ST4S and a Multistrada.

Good news is she doesn't mind which I get, and I have approval to buy either.
Bad news is I can't make up m bl00dy mind !

I think the ST4S would be the safest bet, but I seem to be drawn to the MS.
I've ruled out the 04 ST4S as an unreg'd 02 bike can be had for at least 2k less, and I don't think the changed top fairing, adjustable bars, and new clocks are worth the difference.

Anyway, I'll be sure to let you lot know what I decide after a test ride of both, hopefully later this week.

Thank again for all your advice.

Cheers,
John.
Old 26-Feb-2004, 23:58
Montjuic

Just a thought about cans with removable baffles for the ST's - Leo Vinci do a set, of course they brought 'em out after I'd bought a set of their racing straight tho's .. but nm.