Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 21-Feb-2004, 00:37

IAM and RoSPA? Anyone got any experience?

Help! Had a little off last year on the way to Popham, and am soon to get back on the 916, if I’m lucky, although a bit reshaped due to serious and long-term damage to body. Have decided that I need to get a bit of fine-tuning in the skills department, since this was a stupid mistake I made with no-one else around, and no-one to blame but me. I’ve been riding for ever, or so it seems (passed test in ’75), but that still wasn’t enough. Has anyone got any ideas as to how to refine the old technique etc, and lessen the risk of this ever happening again? Am looking at guidance from the local IAM or RoSPA groups, but don’t know if that’s really my sort of thing – is it all Barbour jackets, Sam Browne belts and BMWs, or are they cool? Also, here in Northants, Plod run a thing called BikeKraft, (called BikeSafe everywhere else, I think) where they take you for an assessed ride. Sounds good to me, but will they just be all about slowing down, or would I learn something new? Any ideas – of the constructive sort – would be useful.
Old 21-Feb-2004, 01:12
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Have met a few of the IAM guys and they seem OK to me, have a word with Anthony Ward, I think he's certified (or should that be certifiable).
Old 21-Feb-2004, 08:53
Mille

As I posted on jewells thread, A good start is an observed ride under the bike safe scheme you can link from motorcycle.co.uk.
Not a good year last year I had 3 offs, although after 26 years without getting hurt perhaps fate was just rebalancing the books, I did california superbike schools at brands and in spain and could not believe how much confidence/speed had gone but in the last couple of months my road riding is getting back up to speed.

relax and enjoy

dave
Old 21-Feb-2004, 09:45
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
I had a run out with the Bike Craft (Ride Safe) Police team last year and it was good fun. I have also passed the IAM and can't speak highly enough of them. It tottaly depends on your observers/local club attitudes though.

It's easy to put these guys into pigeon holes but when you consider they are all bike enthusiasts, doing all the training for free, petrol money aside, it's pretty hard to knock them.

The easy criticism is that they might be a bit keen to keep to speed limits, hmmm, I have followed a few IAM types on road and trackdays and what they might seem to loose on the banzai speed department, they recover from the relaxed way they cover the ground and clear obstacles (other slower road users)

Another point that was brought home to me was while we are arse up, head down andgoing for it, we tend to miss the hazards. Who can honestly say that they always make 100% safe overtakes, never find themselves half way around a car when they notice an upcoming right turn or driveway. These are the sorts of things that RoSPA and IAm try to reinforce.

I'll get my coat.

Regards,

Rob
Old 21-Feb-2004, 09:48
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Did a few observed runs with the local IAM and picked up quite a few tips & riding definately got better.
Wasnt interested in taking my test, but just wanted better riding skills.
Found it a bit cliquey to start with as a newbie (but isnt anywhere?) but persevered. Not many Dukes among the bikes (occasionally 1 or 2) and once I overcame my shyness they took me at face value & helped me lots.
Def not all barbours etc, tho Sam brownes & the like, are used - after all you do need to see your observer!!!
Most of the bikes there were VFR's, Blackbirds & Triumphs... who cares what bike you are on - or the style of clothing (as long as it is safe) - you go cos you want to improve/learn/meet others.

Most local group to us is in Ripley, Surrey (not far from Box Hill & Newlands Corner)

C

[Edited on 21-2-2004 by CK]
Old 21-Feb-2004, 17:28
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Echo what Paul James has said, I ride with the Fenny Stratford Bikers which is IAM affiliated, that's the lot that Anthony Ward is an observer with. Good bunch of guys and very varied bikes. They meet the first Sunday of the month at Little Chef at Fenny Stratford at 10.00am.
www.fennystratfordbikers.co.uk

John
Old 21-Feb-2004, 20:59
500SD

Mood: Very happy with the Multi
After chucking the 916 down the road
I did a year with the IAM, going on observed runs, & got certified!
Found it very worth while.
Also did a day with Rapid Training, which was excellent. www.rapidtraining.co.uk
Old 21-Feb-2004, 22:30
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Go for it..........

.......but dont think its the be all and end all of your learning! I've done IAM, BMF Blue riband and RoSPA Silver (havent time to study for gold!) and it still didnt stop me from losing concentration for a few seconds and coming to grief on a spot of gravel I should have seen mid-corner!
You never stop learning but your local IAM group is the cheapest way to start.
Good luck and ride safe whatever you choose.

Old 22-Feb-2004, 19:14
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 1098

Mood: Chilled
v.man are you off your head ??????

ok listen up!

ROAD riding

is not TRACK RIDING!!!!!!!!!

and if you realy think they are the same go book YOUR coffin

Fact 1

racing lines DO NOT work on the road !!

unless you wanna meet yourself head on.

Reasone .ENTRANCE APEX EXIT (track) step in weejb weeksy skids raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaatler

i dont do tracks because I'm **** on them !

cant get my head around entrance apex exit !

But fast roads YES YES YES why?

because its about reference

Vanishing points road positioning etc etc

EXample right hand bend just off left kerb vanising point comes to you to fast into the corner

vanishing point moves away from you CHASE IT GAS GAS GAS

slow in fast out !

i've seen so many head the ball's come out of donny after a track day only to bin it in the first series of bends

why ?

californian super bike school for raceers BRILL track day ADVICE !!!!

ROAD CRAFT as used by fire police ambulance iam rospa etc etc The LAST WORD IN SAFETY ON THE ROAD

i loved that rant !
Old 22-Feb-2004, 19:24
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
Well said Mav.

Big Banana916 - just ignore the only the one person's sad advice here. He obviously needs to be avoided on the road - whatever he is riding/driving - having got such bigoted ideas.

Rant over

C

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit