Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Mar-2004, 15:56
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Monster 600

Hi,
I am on the look out for a 600 monster, as my wife Cathy wants to pass her test & move up from a RS125, so will be looking for an older model. What should I be looking out for & what problems can arise on an older one, Thanks in advance.

Chris.
Old 08-Mar-2004, 16:20
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
2 or 3 for sale on the UKMOC board at the moment... plenty to look out for - as you would do with an older bike of any marque - but do check out the rose joints on the arm - as they tend to give way if not looked after.

Best of luck,

C
Old 12-Mar-2004, 06:49
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Thanks for the Info CK, Have looked on the UKMOC site nothing in the price range that we could afford. I registered that night on the UKMOC site using the same details, user name as on this site but I have not had the e-mail through to activate my registration, I have emailed the club but recieved no reply, any idea what the problem could be??

Chris
Old 12-Mar-2004, 10:00
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
As Charlotte sez..seized rose joints on the suspension loop have been known to snap off!!, painted swingarms can rust quite badly where the crud gathers and the good old flaking engine paint thing (which can be fixed quite easily/cheaply)

This is an obvious thing to look for but many 600's seem to have small dinks in the tank, where they have been dropped by there (learner!) riders, and the switchgear has clouted the tank.

The 600 motor is pretty tough as its been around for gazillions of years dating back to pantahs etc I think so you should be alright.

Youd also be surpised how much fun the little 600 can be!!! I bought mine to tidy up and sell on again, but its great as a second bike to pop into town etc and have had it for 2 years now...!

Are you in any rush to buy ?? I have a '97 bike, very tidy, white number boards signed by hodgson blah blah...but wont be able to give a decision on if im selling for the next couple of months (until I get my accident compo and think about trading it up )..

Nat

[Edited on 12-3-2004 by Nattyboy]
Old 12-Mar-2004, 11:07
500SD

Mood: Not sure
Nice looking little monster that, sent you a U2U as I'll be looking for a monster in May if all goes to plan .

Darren
Old 12-Mar-2004, 12:55
500SD

Mood: I can live with backpain!
You become a multi ducati owner then Darren?
Old 12-Mar-2004, 13:39
500SD

Mood: Not sure
Hopefully in May, wife is doing her direct access. Don't tell anybody though it's a secret .

Darren
Old 12-Mar-2004, 13:43
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Daz/Chris

Thanks for the PM's guys...have yet to decide on an exact price, and rather than build peoples hopes up, id prefer to price it up accuratley when I know my position with my comensation payout/new bike in a couple of months if thats OK..???

It will be around the £2-£2.5k mark I guess...(its had a full refurb..all engine components repainted, nuts and bolts replaced..all sorts).

Cheers
Nat
Old 14-Mar-2004, 18:22
Mille

Chris, I had a 97 M600 before getting my 748 and it was a top little machine. Nice handling and really good fun - I did a track day at Cadwell and it was a great laugh.

My only prob was around the 12k mile mark when I was just about to trade it in. It didn't idle very well - it either raced or stalled. It got to the stage when at lights etc I had to really feather the throttle/clutch/brake to keep it idling nicely. Anyway, I thought it was just a bit of an idle speed issue but it later transpired that one of the valves was starting to "leak"

Apart from that the only other issue I had was the main relay (under the seat) blew once and wheels were a bit flakey, but you get that on any machine over time.

If you find the right one go for it. Good luck.
Jacko.
Old 14-Mar-2004, 19:50
500SD
Bikes: 900 Monster, 750 SS Cafe Racer

I must admit the M600 is a good little bike and is quite used to plodding around town and being raced around a track.

Ive owned mine since 1999, and the only problems i have had are:

2 x Snapped chains (Faulty chains)
Flakey engine cases (Now Polished)
20 + Blown rear light bulbs

Run out of fuel 3 times, but have always been helped out by the DSC Northern element. They see me as the problem hooligan!!!!! ....... Yorkie.