Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 15-Mar-2004, 10:04
500SD

Mood: Bonjour Bonjour we are the Billy
GTS Race Gear Kevlar Suits Anyone bought?

Hi Guys/Gals,

Have been looking at treating myself to a GTS Race Gear one off Kevlar suit.

Have heard a few horror stories about the suits not being as rugged as leather and them taking 9 months in one case to deliver a guys order, when it did arrive it was all "Baggy"

Has anyone ever used them, more to the point anyone ever came a cropper with one of their suits on and able to feedback on it's ability to stand up to a tumble?

Hope you can help

Regards

Scotty B
Old 15-Mar-2004, 10:34
Dibble

u2u GByte666 (I think thats his name) I am sure he has one, speaks very highly of it ... he'll answer yer question ...

Old 15-Mar-2004, 10:45
500SD

Thanks Dibble
Old 15-Mar-2004, 12:40
Big Twin

Yep...Craig (Gbyte) has one, although not sure of the make. It looks well trick (Ducati logo etc) and certainly a god-send if you riding is mainly in the summer. Have been tempted myself...but I have the same doubts as you!
Old 15-Mar-2004, 14:33
500SD

Yeah,

Last thing you need is an off and the kevlar goes before your very eyes.

Does anyone have contacts in the bike mag world who would be willing to do a crash test on a set versus a leather pair???
Old 15-Mar-2004, 17:30
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Kevlar Motorcycle Underwear/Outerwear

The main problem is that Kevlar by itself is grabby, i.e. it doesn't slide well. You'll notice that Kevlar is usually used attached to some kind of supporting structure such as leather to keep it in place on your body. It shouldn’t be used alone.

As an example: I ran across a ‘95 test of motorcycle gloves by Performance Bike where they tested gloves using a weighted silicon rubber hand and a 80 grade sanding belt moving at 50 mph. They tested Kevlar work gloves and found excellent abrasion resistance. They lasted an equivalent of 720 feet before developing holes! They concluded that this would be the ideal glove except for the fact that they don't slide well. In fact, the gloved hand grabbed on the belt and was ripped right off the mounting jig during the test.

They concluded that a Kevlar glove that has no wrist restraint is likely to come off in a crash. So, one solution is to wear Kevlar gloves under leather gloves that have a wrist restraint and longer cuffs. After the leather gloves hole-thru, the Kevlar armor will protect your hands and stay on because of the over-glove wrist restraint.

The same issues would apply for Kevlar underwear or outerwear. Without something to keep it in position it will grab the road surface and likely ride up on you till your skin is exposed. Another concern is that, because it grabs, it’ll send you tumbling down the road instead of sliding. Not good.
Old 15-Mar-2004, 19:35
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
Hi Scotty, I have had mine for about 2 yrs now and I LOVE it. I'll give you all the pros and the cons.
Pros: Sooooooooo Light and flexible
Its been in my washing machine and tumble dryer around 5 times now, no problems or fading etc. I feel safe in it, has all the armour in shoulders/hips/elbows/knees/and sliders and half hump if you want it.
I have seen a crash test result on a piece of the material that was crash tested (simulated) 18 stone bloke doing a slider down the road, just barely scratched not all the way through. Apparently the difference between leathers is you won’t get any friction build up/heat on a slide.
Yep, if it is not fitted right that is what causes GRABBING, if it fits like mine it should not grab therefore slide ( haven’t tried it lol ) Its not all Kevlar It is a material that contains Kevlar. It has a double layer in crucial areas.
Plus = Fits me perfect Tailor made
I can move about the bike so easily with this on.
The finish on my suit, quality of stiching etc excellent. After two years still nothing come away or even showing signs of failing. Zips/Velcro etc
Oh it is a **** if you ride into a swam of fly’s, cant just wipe them off, or your smudge them in. But will come out in the wash if you don’t let it build up to much. Put some scotch guard or something on first.

CON:Got to admit they were not the fastest on delivery, ( in fact I can quite believe the fact you said someone was waiting months ) they said one date and did not stick to it, I spent loads of calls trying to get their ****** in gear and get it sent.
When it arrived, fine, not sure what you mean baggy, (not fitting?) I know the place where they make them, mate lives 2 mins from them, so I went for a personal fitting and tried some they had there on. Really recommend you try and get there and try one on to get the look and feel, as it’s a lot of money you’re spending.
As strong as leather, well I would say its stronger than a cheapy set of leathers, same as a decent set of leathers, but no not as strong as a real good set of leathers. But then what sort of accident you gona have ???
Sorry haven’t binned mine yet with the suit on, and I aint going to so I can let you know if they are any good.
They are about the same in regards to warmth in winter, but cooler in summer if that makes sense.
I spoke to Neal Hodgeson and Jamie Whitham, they both said they had done a trail on these suits, they liked them and they had come on a lot since they tried them, but they preferred leathers and felt safer. But then these guys don’t do 65mph and they don’t wear £300 leathers. Oh & they both took the **** cause I had no scratches on my sliders. Lol they were brand new that day ( Hmmm Not )
But in short I recommend you try one on see how you look and feel, then you will buy or bin I recon.
Me not being one to disagree with Shazam would say if what he says about sliding is true, then I would not get it if you are doing loads of Track days, cause thats where your gona slide, but on the roads ?? Dunno ?? But I only do a couple of track days a year.
Ohh, PS: There is a picture of me with them on in the DCS calendar for March. Shades not included.
Hope this helps

Craig

[Edited on 15-3-2004 by Gbyte666]
Old 16-Mar-2004, 03:26
500SD

Thanks Craig,

Much appreciated, have U2U you.

Regards

ScottyB

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit