Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Mar-2004, 12:15
Mille
Bikes: ST4S

Mood: Finally gotten over the 748R getting stolen thing. Actually, no i haven't !
Buying and selling second hand ST\'s

Hi
I am looking for some guidance, i want to take the wife to Italy in may and as i have a 748 i need some thing else.
I have heard that ST's are difficult to sell second hand. I was thinking of buying a nearly new one and selling it on my return. I cant afford to keep it and i am not selling my 748R.
There do not seem to be any to hire in the uk.
How mad is this plan and how much might i lose in the process?
Anyone else done anything similar.
Thanks in advance
keith
Old 19-Mar-2004, 13:05
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Hmmm...you're just next door in Herts! I could always put all the panniers back on and swap you an ST2 for your 748R while you go on holiday

You put a couple of thousand miles on my bike, I put a couple of hundred on yours, sounds like a fair swap? Ah yes the DSC trackday is in May isn't it

Sorry Keith, flippancy over...someone may be along in a minute with a more sensible plan, but I don't think you want to buy an ST just for a holiday. I don't mind mine being difficult to sell, because I see it as a keeper anyway. However, you only have to look at eBay to see late, low mileage ST's at a resonable starting price but with zero bids.

Have you thought about taking a cheap flight to Italy, then hiring an ST or a Monster while you're there? I'm sure I saw a web page once for a Duke hire place in Italy.
Old 19-Mar-2004, 13:31
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Keith,

ST's are great bikes (i've had two) but because the press rave about vfr's and generaly don't rave about st's they are hard to sell, so i wouldn't reccommend your plan at all.

The other option is to hire something Japanese here, i think it would cost less in the long run.
Old 19-Mar-2004, 14:39
Mille
Bikes: ST4S

Mood: Finally gotten over the 748R getting stolen thing. Actually, no i haven't !
Hi Guys
Thanks
"Hire something japanese" Thats not a plan for me.
I have seen the hire company add's for Ducati's in Italy. I thought of this first, the problem is they usually only have one of each model in each town that they advertise. If the bike you want has a problem the day before you arrive, even if you have booked it, then thats it.
I really want to ride down through France as well if i can. thats a large part of the plan.
I have no doubt that the ST is a great bike, i would like to buy one and keep it. but i cannot justify it.
Old 19-Mar-2004, 18:36
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
you have u2u