Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 23-Mar-2004, 16:15
500SD

Advice Please - Anybody ever bought paint from . . . .

http://www.bike-paint.co.uk

I am interested to know how close a match their Ducati yellow is.

Cheers guys,

Neil.

[Edited on 23-3-2004 by neil748r]
Old 23-Mar-2004, 16:45
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
They look like the same people selling on ebay at the moment.

When I needed some paint made up, I took a sample of body (the broken bits!) to a local paintshop and they mixed up the colour to match. You may find that your local will do the same or can work from a paint code in the back of your owner's manual.

Have a search on yellow pages for paint suppliers and give them a call.

Two large aerosol cans - enough to do a fairing - cost me 20 quid a few years back. The quality of the paint was really good too, none of the watery stuff you get from Halfrauds!

[Edited on 23-3-2004 by antonye]
Old 23-Mar-2004, 17:11
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
I used their "Gold" frame paint and it was close but not a perfect match.

For yellow for my SL (Which it seems I've used quite a lot of) I used RS Paints. The colour match was spot on although it didn't seem it when going on. Once it dried though and was coated in laquer it was perfect.
Old 23-Mar-2004, 22:39
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 996S

Mood: Waiting for the warmer weather.
I have just colour coded my mirrors (red) and a good a match as you will get is "Plasti-Kote Bright Red (1120) Super Gloss". This is very good quality paint and is available from Halfords and B&Q.
Old 23-Mar-2004, 22:46
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
I\'ve heard that they have a good reputation,

but I've never used them.

Tim
Old 24-Mar-2004, 12:26
500SD

Thanks for the input chaps.

However, if in doubt, err on the side of caution I always say!

Think I'll bite the bullet and phone PPG to order up some of the proper/original Ducati paint.

Cheers, Neil.
Old 24-Mar-2004, 13:24
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
I did quite a lot of research into spraying techniques when I resprayed my lowsided fairings, and I made a good job of it from the point of view that the paint is nice and even, no ripples, runs, drips or orange peel and it's as shiny as the original panels, the paint is applied as well as some 'professional' jobs I've seen. During this whole process I did learn a couple of things.

Trouble is, it's the wrong colour. Even going to the paint factors with the right colour code for 'Ducati Anniversary Red' and with the paint factor making up some custom aerosols to that 'recipe', the colour is too orange. So the lesson is, I can spray quite well...given a better colour match I could have done even better. It's best to find a distributor of PPG paints and find one where they can 'read' the colour of the existing paint - I forget what instrument they use

You should try to use PPG paint since all manufacturers paint systems are different. It's only by using products from the same manufacturers range that you can be sure that they won't react because they're made to be compatible

Paint factors can't sell you twin pack paints with isocyanate hardeners because they'll kill you if you don't have a proper spray booth with extraction fans and proper breathing masks with an air supply (not a B&Q dust mask). So what you'll end up with is an aerosol of acrylic paint.

These paints dry through a combination of solvent evaporation (when they're touch dry) plus oxidisation of the paint solids (so the finish is harder). So they will change colour as they dry. It is very useful if you can obtain the flash drying time and the 'time to tape' (this is the point at which you would be able to put masking tape on the surface and not pull it all off again when you removed the tape) Knowing this time is also useful when it comes to sanding between coats.

The finish on Ducatis is not just paint. It is base coat and lacquer, what you do is spray on a few coats of base coat (sanding between each) then get some 1200 or 1500 wet and dry (used wet) to sand the base coat so that it has a matt finish, then you make it shiny again by lacquering it with several coats - again, sanding as you go.

I also found out that after a bit of experimentation it's not too difficult to wave a spray can around. You can experiment on bits of white card to get the feel of how to apply paint to the required thickness without runs, sags or powdery effects. The basic rules are: 1) Always hold the aerosol at 90 degrees to the painted surface. 2) Keep it moving at a consistent speed 3) Overlap the spray pattern a half at a time. Even when using spray cans which don't have fantastically consistent spray patterns, it's possible to put paint on quite consistently.

The key thing in getting a good finish is not putting paint on, it's how you prepare the surface. Make sure that you sand, and sand and sand again with the appropriate grade of paper 280 grit for rough sanding, 800 grit for surface finishing and 1200-1500 for sanding between coats. Sand in random directions so you don't get any dips or hollows forming. Then make sure every speck of dust is removed by washing it off, degreasing it then finally getting a tack rag and wiping it just before the next coat.

The 'mile deep' paint finish you see on show bikes is the result of lots of coats of paint and lacquer with impecable preparation between each one.

I'm going to try and remember all that as I redo my fairings in the correct colour match - just in time for the next lowside

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit