Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 26-Mar-2004, 08:04
500SD

Mood: mmmm....yellow!
Lets all email MCN

Have you seen this weeks? The editor, Marc Potter, says the 998 is "dead, gone, ex-bike, deceased". . Whilst singing the praises of its replacement

Just cos its just gone out of production, suddenly, its old hat.

Sorry Marc, but we dont all get the latest bikes to ride round on for months as you obviously do (& not have to pay for the privelige). Some of us have to make do with what we can afford. ****

& they are still wittering on about the R1!! It should be renamed "R1 news" cos thats all they live for
Old 26-Mar-2004, 09:18
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
What for? It's only their opinion. Why get outraged if their opinion is not the same as yours?

Nobody in the press has got a kind word to say about my bike, a humble ST2. It's never even enjoyed the sort of press the 916 has in it's past, but it hasn't stopped me having a bucketload of fun on it at rideouts and trackdays, so I don't give a hoot about the press opinion.

The clue is in their title Motorcycle NEWS . Their job is not to report plain facts, their job is to sell dreams and stir up controversy. Perhaps you expect them to rave about the 916 series for ever? The 916 series are classic bikes, which fully deserve their fanatical following, but with the best will in the world they're hardly hot news are they?

[Edited on 26-3-2004 by Jools]
Old 26-Mar-2004, 09:37
Dibble

oh not again Vman, just as I was getting to the politics section of my Guardian I have had to put it down and log on here just to reprimand you....

You naughty naughty naughty naughty boy ......

and let this be a lesson to you ...

Old 26-Mar-2004, 10:23
BSB Star

Also throws his politics section of my Guardian at Dibble, and has a fight.

Vman, language dude, can't you express yourself without any profanities?

[Edited on 26-3-2004 by flanker]
Old 26-Mar-2004, 10:40
888 at Last !!!

You may not like MCN but they do alot of good for motorcycles in Britain. They often get it wrong but better to do something than nothing at all.

As for 916 vs 999 - you may not like it but the 999 is better. And it's 10 years old. The RC30 was a good bike but it's a yesterday machine.

Embrace the change, you're still going through the denial phase. Most of us have come through the curve to the acceptance phase. Soon we'll all be saying how wonderful the 999 is and what an evolutionary model it was.

[Edited on 26-3-2004 by ziggi]
Old 26-Mar-2004, 11:04
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Don't read the Guardian, and I've never met Marc Potter or spoken to Adam Duckworth.

I have seen Duckworth though, he was at Rockingham when I did CSS level 2 with Jon and Guido. He is undeniably fat. I have rarely seen anyone fatter. He was riding a Gixer Thou, that looked as if it was about to disappear up his jacksie.

Now, I have got a relatively slow bike, but on a twisty circuit like Rockingham National it's a good leveller, because it's mostly about corner speed and using two valve grunt to get good drive out. I was able to stay in close touch following Guido on his 748R and we were both going round the outside of machinery like Milles, R1's and stuff that we had no right to be doing if you compare the bikes on paper.

On one session I was cranked hard over on a corner where, for me, I was particularly quick (fast right hander immediately after the 'chicane' ), it's a place where I had been comfortably whizzing past people on the exit. Duckworth came past me on the outside like I was standing still and just cleared off.

He may be fat, he may be a t.w.a.t, but he's quick.

[Edited on 26-3-2004 by Jools]
Old 26-Mar-2004, 12:21
Mille

Mood: Electrically challenged
Quote:
I cant stand the Brown smelly stuff that comes out of that guys mouth.

It would seem that you have more in common with Mr Potter than you think vman!
Old 26-Mar-2004, 12:58
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
Passion - don't you just love it !
Old 26-Mar-2004, 21:34
Mille

Mood: The medication helps!
Just remember that they are just journalists and take MCN for what it is, what ever that may be?
Old 26-Mar-2004, 23:46
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
just like to mention I thrashed Adam Duckworth in a race meeting at Donington park a few years back, he was on a well kitted R1 and I was on a 1995 CBR600, must admit I was cursing him through my helmet as he held me up through Craner Curves on the 2nd Lap, But he was big enough to eat humble pie the following week in MCN.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit