Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 31-Mar-2004, 08:19
everton

Multistradas and sunny days

Hopefully spring is sprung.

Took the 999R to OnYerBike yesterday to have the correct chip fitted for my Termig system. As I was told that it could take 1 to 2 hours to trim in the chip I had previously asked if I could borrow a Multistrada for a couple of hours.

Said bike arrived and off I went to re-aquaint myself with this ‘odd-ball’ of a machine (I had a short ride on a demo bike when they first came out).

First 30 odd miles were a mixture of A & B roads – OYB down the A41, up Waddesdon Hill, through Winchendon and down into Long Crendon. Then up the glorious B4011 to Bicester and back to Waddesdon.

Second half of the journey, I headed into Aylesbury to assess the MS’s capabilities in town and then back to OYB to see my 999 waiting patiently to head home.

Why this story? Well dear readers……………I have a Honda VTEC VFR for commuting into London and general hacking around for work, rain or sun. It is a very competent, bullet proof, well made and finely engineered piece of machinery……………but it is OH SO BORING!!!!

I thought I’d give the Multistrada another spin with a view to replacing the VFR because the MS still has all the luggage carrying capacity and appears to be a good town bike, heavy clutch……not withstanding!!

My only real complaint was that the wind blast above 80 would be really, really wearing after a while. So would the comfort screen solve this problem?

Also, what is the comfort pack? I brought home the brochure pack but it doesn’t talk about this anywhere.

What do you Multistrada owners out there use the bike for? Commuting, fun, work etc?

What other mods have you made? What are the essential extras?

To finish off my story…………………I handed back the keys to the Multistrada………………went in to see Steve in service to collect the stock chip and jumped onto the 999 with those lovely words we love to hear ringing in my ears………………’NO charge for the fitting Dave, have fun!’.

Back down the 4011 with a sorted 999R. What a difference…………………smooth as a virgins thigh and all the pulling power and acceleration of a fighter jet. Hopefully that has sorted the torque curve. A brilliant 35 mile ride home in the warming sun.

A great morning hooning about on two of the best bikes on the road

So I’m gonna give the Multistrada serious thought over the next few days but would appreciate your thoughts about my questions above.

Happy sunny days……………………it’s great to be alive………………and the sun is pouring through my study window again this morning as I type this.

Ps……………I’ve already made one decision……if I buy one it’ll have to be RED!

Old 31-Mar-2004, 08:43
Ducati Corse

Agree about the VFR ..

.. worthy but boring! Sold mine on Saturday and nearly bought an MS instead; luckily Lizzie and Mike were there to take my mind off it. Itch hasn't gone away though .....

[Edited on 31-3-2004 by Henners]
Old 31-Mar-2004, 12:18
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
once the itch is there it won't go away until you have one. Read my first 200 mile report if you have n't already.

Go on Henners do it, get into the 21st century, stop living in the past.

Think Mike and Lizzie have bought into the MS dream.
Old 31-Mar-2004, 15:58
WSB Hero

Mood: Lurkin'.....
Blimey,at one time it was only lwh and me here,now they're all getting them!
First off let me say that my Multistrada is used mainly as a winter bike and those odd occasions I need the pillion facility.Oh,and the odd DSC track day!(he,he,he!)
I love the bike to bits and it never fails to give me a silly grin on my face.
The bike definately needs the comfort screen to direct the wind blast over your helmet and not under it.Not sure about the comfort seat,never had a problem with mine.Never heard of a comfort pack.(seat/screen combo?)A hugger is also a must as all the road muck gets flung over the crankcases and its a bugga of a bike to clean.The good news is that more accessory manufacturers are making stuff for the 'Stada,so you dont have to buy the pricey DP stuff.Skidmarx GRP huggers are 70quid.
Have a look at www.multistrada.netfor more info.
Old 31-Mar-2004, 21:12
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
I know exactly what you mean everton...

I had a vfr800 for touring. Does everything superbly but getting on it after a blast on the 996 made it feel oh so boring.

I tried the Multistrada but my vfr was mainly used for 2up touring, so ultimately I went for an ST4S.
For riding solo around A/B roads I think the Multistrada would be hard to beat.

Anyone running a book yet on how long before you put your order in for one ??
Old 01-Apr-2004, 16:20
500SD

Mood: Happy again with Numptystrada
I have to agree with what has already been said. My VFR was an excellent machine which I would sum up with the words "Very Efficent" however I only rode it when I had somewhere to go and never just for the pure fun of it
Old 05-Apr-2004, 10:44
Mille

Mood: Electrically challenged
Quote:
Blimey,at one time it was only lwh and me here,now they're all getting them!

Oh, Keefyboy, I remember it like it was only yesterday... just you, me and our Miultistradas.....aahhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

Everton. I can't really add much more than has been said already 'cept that I replaced my then 18month old 996 with the MS almost a year ago now (her fisrt birthday coming up next month). Don't 'cycle year round, usually a four month lay-off over worst of winter, but I have never regretted selling the 996 and have had more fun out of MS than I ever did with 996 or previous 750ss.
I also now take bike in preference to car whenever I can, something I didn't do with 996!

It's only a question of time before you convert!