Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Apr-2004, 16:33
500SD

Mood: I can live with backpain!
SS750\'s dark secret

The carbs are back on and no signs of life from the motor.
Had a think about the sooty condition of the plugs and I'm guessing the previous owner may have run race cans,does that sound right?,I'll sort that in due course,but first I want to get it to start.
I checked the spak plugs again and these were wet,not surprising really as I'd been cranking the engine over with no life.However this time I've noticed a yellow coloured spark,which according to the book could be a few things from poor connections dodgy HT leads or even faulty coils.
I really dont want to do this anymore and if I could start it I'd get it to a garage where they could then sort it quicker than I could(and they got all the right tools for it-which I dont),but at least I think I'm onto the real cause of the problem.
I'm kinda ****ed off at myself for missing this as I could have perhaps sorted this by now,but it goes to show that inexperiance and a book cant diagnose faults without a bloody good hint in the first place.
Old 18-Apr-2004, 18:30

Mood: full moon madness!
this sounds very familiar i was having exactly the same problem with my 750ss, i spent 2 weeks trying to rectify it, soot and wet plugs, flooding carbs, dodgy electrics, i tryed everything, in the end i took her to my local bike rep shop, and they sorted it at a cost of £215quid. which was all cost on labour and not parts. they put new conecters on the coils etc cut a couple inches off the HT leads, new plugs, cleaned the carbs etc, and now she's sweet. sound like you got a multitude of things like i did, so don't dispare buddie!!
Old 18-Apr-2004, 21:38
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Well....at least the plugs are wet so you are getting some fuel in the engine....

I guess you'd have to consult the manual but be checking the HT connections and leads, I think you renewed the plugs already if I remember correctly.

Check the full length of the HT leads from the coils to the plugs. If yours are the same as my 900 the leads simply turn onto thin screws inside the coil and plug cap connectors.

Might be better to simply replace the HT leads now and eliminate it already. Then if its anything else you can work back over - but there again - I think in the main coils are a work/dont work sort of deal.

good luck