Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Apr-2004, 03:03

How\'s it going

I've just purchased a '04 Ducati 749s (Red - Monoposto) down under here in New Zealand. I've had my eye on this web site for some time and it's been invaluable in my decision to buy the Ducati. My wife have had been living in London for the last couple of years and moved back to the deep south three months ago.

I'm looking forward to some online discussions and tips for the bike.

The bikes coming up for its first service 1,000 kms (600 miles) and the nearest dealer is about 600 km's away (1,200 km round trip) so that's the only real drawback of owning a ducati in the South Island of N.Z., however the roads and the lack of traffic certainly make up for the distance to be travelled.

Cheers Guys & Girls
Old 20-Apr-2004, 08:43
everton

Welcome Steve and enjoy your 749...........a wise choice indeed.

You're right about this club..............any question you have you always get answer...........faster than you will believe sometimes.

I have a 999 & in 27 years of biking it is without doubt the best bike I have ever owned.
Old 20-Apr-2004, 11:48
500SD

Mood: Bonjour Bonjour we are the Billy
Welcome SteveW.

A very nice choice of bike indeed.

Those miles to get the service done will be a pleasure rather than a chore if things out in NZ are as good as i hear.

Safe riding.

Regards

ScottyB
Old 20-Apr-2004, 19:17
Montjuic

Hi Steve
I've got a red 04 mono 749S as well - it's a fantastic bike but sitting in the dealer's workshop at the moment.

The engine has been cutting out at tickover and slow speeds. I took it for the first service at Woods who tested everything for me and then ordered a new bit (engine management unit?) from Italy. Should get it back next weekend.

Hope yours is still running sweet. Enjoy those roads!
Old 20-Apr-2004, 21:03
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Smiley and waiting for the sunshine
Lucky, lucky you...Jealous to death!

(both the bike, the homeland AND the roads!)....
Welcome...
Lisa
Old 20-Apr-2004, 21:04
Ducati Corse

Mood: www.suzukisportingclub.com the only place to be
Hi Steve

Had a 749S mono which was superb until I pranged it and it never felt the same afterwards. Anyway great bike, only probs were the cutting out, which only happened a couple of times. The only real gripe was the immobiliser which failed to turn off a few times which meant that it was completely dead. However, solution is to put it into gear and then back to neutral and that should solve it. Still enjoy and I'm jealous of the roads you have!!!
Old 20-Apr-2004, 22:08
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
Steve welcome to the mad house...... Nice choice 749RRRRR.... Lush..... Lets see some pics then
Old 20-Apr-2004, 22:17
Montjuic

Mood: got yella fever!
new zealander

hello mate you luck zealander, i hope the fuels cheap from one rain wet northener niggs
Old 22-Apr-2004, 00:50

Thank\'s Guys

Thanks for the warm welcome team. It's great to know there's some like minded people out there.

I had the Termignoni Muffler kit fitted to the bike when I picked it up. So the dealer gave me a reasonable discount on that.

Buying aftermarket parts can be a bit of a ****er over here in NZ, because most parts are ex nothern hemisphere and the middle men add their profit, freight etc.

Webbyc / Gill - Yep, mine keeps stalling at tick over also. The dealer thinks it's the low idle at 1,000 rpm so I'm going to have that adjusted to around 1,250 rpm at the first service.

niggs999 - Fuel hear is about 40p a litre, considerably cheaper than the UK. Full Comp insurance is 450 GBP per year.

Cheers
Steve