Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 22-Apr-2004, 16:24
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
Would you swap your SS for a SBK?

I'm lucky in that I own the bike I've always wanted but I'm curious as to whether other SS riders would swap their bikes for a SBK (9*6, 999 etc) all other things being equal (cash to make up the value and so on)?

Obviously SSie riders could be excused for wanting to swap their "attractive" machines for anything else but how 'bout carbed SS owners?

I must admit I'd like an 851/888 at some point in the future but I certainly wouldn't get rid of my SL to get it. I can't see it happening anytime soon though.
Old 22-Apr-2004, 16:25
Big Twin

Mood: Black and grey (and a bit of red)
Best solution is.........

........one of each !

(also gets around the red vs yellow debate)
Old 22-Apr-2004, 16:35
Big Twin

Mood: Sans moto
This could start something - you don't seem to like the SSie shape fiscus ?
Personally i think the old SS shape looks just that - old. The SSie is a great looking bike.

[Edited on 22-4-2004 by STEVE M]
Old 22-Apr-2004, 16:46
500SD

Mood: I can live with backpain!
I've had a SBK for years and have recently got an 'old' SS,but then I've always done things back to front.
Does this mean I'll be getting an old pantah next?
Old 22-Apr-2004, 16:57
500SD

Mood: Must fix Superlight... Must fix Superlight...
Quote:
Originally posted by STEVE M
This could start something - you don't seem to like the SSie shape fiscus ?
[Edited on 22-4-2004 by STEVE M]

No mate I'm not what you'd call a big fan.... Saying that I used to think the Supermono was gorgeous until I saw one in the flesh when I changed my mind.

I guess I must be weird anyway though 'cos I don't think the 9*6 series is particularly attractive either. S'probably 'cos you see just so many of them, familiarity and contempt and all that.

Didn't answer the question though?

Darren
Old 22-Apr-2004, 17:16
Bevel Head
Bikes: ST2, 750ss, 350 Forza, W650, CB250RS, 5x Royal Enfields

Mood: Nesun Dorma
I would not swap my SS for a 7/9**, I would keep it cos' it is my first Ducati, I have also an ST2 I dont think it's as bland as More Crap and Nonsense say...mind you I'm blind in one eye and the other is on the blink

I also like the 851/888 shape.... and the new Classics are right up there on my wish list.....
Old 22-Apr-2004, 19:09
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
Nope, I'll stick with my carby SS thanks.

With parts that are harder to get and fewer aftermarket goodies available, I suspect for most other carby owners it is also a choice, not a compromise.

I used to think that my parent's generation were nuts for preferring 60's music to 80's, bobby robson to bryan robson, and bonnevilles to bandits - but now I find myself having the same debates with teenagers who say Hendry is better than Higgins.

Make no apologies for owning something that you love - there will always be something newer/faster/better handling, but nothing that will make you smile inside in the same way.

(Ignore all of the above if you lust after an SBK but can only afford an SS!)
Old 22-Apr-2004, 20:11
Montjuic

I wanted a genuine \'enthusiast\'s\' bike...

...and since nobody makes one any more, the SSie was the nearest.

I love the 8-valve bikes, particularly the 851, but the extra complication and weight are not worth the performance increase.

I never liked the looks of the nuovo-SS ('91-'98) even though I bought a 750 brand new in '91. My Morini 3 1/2 is a much better bike than that 750 was, but it is getting on a bit, with crude suspension and not much in the way of power (though it has seen off many a Ducati at Cadwell- not on the straight, obviously!) I decided to add something a bit more modern to the collection.

What I really want is a small capacity V-twin, Italian of course, with 60-70bhp and quality suspension. Not a budget bike, which is all the manufacturers think an enthusiast deserves nowadays.

1000 V-twins are just a safe bet, I suppose, but I like bikes to rev and steer...

Old 22-Apr-2004, 20:14
500SD

Mood: Blooo Duke gets red heads
Swap me Blooooduke for a 9*6, not on yer ...

...Nelly (apologies Neil, Im sure you know what I mean)
Nope, its mine, individualised!!!!!!!!! personalised and all mine
Must admit to havin strange thoughts of a 748 fer a trackday bike though, must of been in a sober moment
SSie
is alwight for me
rgds
a trepidatious mort (waiting fer Cadwell, OH YEA bring them other beasties on)
Old 22-Apr-2004, 22:28
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Different kettle of fish really arent they?? Owning a 2V & 4V I love em as much as each other..for very different reasons. I enjoy the DIY servicing, simplicity and low running costs of the 2V...I dont enjoy £900 service bills for the 4V's !! (only the once though!)

All I would say is that now the 748/916 series has become more affordable..your actually a good chance of being a bit more different owning an SS/SL !!

You can also do a massive amount of modification (as Frank has seemly demonstrated!!) relativley cheaply..ie; for about the price of a set of ohlins forks on a 916 !!!

Dont get me wrong..I love the 916 series..if some T****r hadnt written mine off for me Id still own it now (since new)...but I also love the pre TPG graphics and understated styling of the SS series....

Er..ill get of that fence then shall I ??!!!!!

Cheers
nat