Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Apr-2004, 15:37
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
Side stand...

Just wondering if any of you lot have encountered this.

After jacking up the ride height a bit the ST tends to lean over a fair bit now.
On a short trip last week I parked the bike up and wasn't happy with the severe lean, so used the centre stand.
When I flicked the side stand up though I noticed its bracket move.
It seems that the mounting bolts are wound fully in and tight, but have bottomed out on their threads with the bracket still loose.

Also, I know the 996/8 bikes had a tendency to break their alloy side stands, or in sever circumstances break the actual mounting bracket.
Anyone heard of this happening on an ST ?

~800 miles in and she's already finding me little jobs to do
Old 26-Apr-2004, 16:02
Bevel Head
Bikes: ST2, 750ss, 350 Forza, W650, CB250RS, 5x Royal Enfields

Mood: Nesun Dorma
It's seems odd that the bolts should bottom out (if they are original) however the quick fix would be to put a washer under the bolt head to stop them bottoming, you could use spring washers ( a bit thicker, plus added security) or if flat washers are enough Loctite the bolts but give them a good degreasing before applying the Loctite.

I lost a bolt on the way from Italy to Spain and a Guy in Arles found one to fit and used some loctite hasn't budged since.
Old 26-Apr-2004, 18:17
Ducati Corse

I havent touched the ride height on mine but i have noticed that since our ferry trip it appears to lean rather more than it used to. The stand doesnt have the auto up thing that some do and there is a fair bit of play on the mounting bolt becasue of this i think. When we put the bike on the ferry i was too close to the bike on front to get it on the centre stand. i think the guy strapped it down rather to well and bent the side stand slightly.

I'll have a look at the bracket bolts tonight. Dont be tempted to tighten them up too much incase you punch a hole in the sump.
Old 11-May-2004, 14:45
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
In response to my own message I managed to fix this before going away on our trip.
On taking out the bolts one of them had a lump of cutting compound in the bottom of the bolt hole, so not allowing it to screw fully home.

Managed to use the centre stand wherever possibly anyway, including the ferry.

Cheerss for the suggestions though guys.
John.