Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 15-May-2004, 20:43
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Thanks all, mission accomplished...

Just a quick note of thanks for all the advice from board members. One completely original (except for the '1' stickers) 900SL bought this afternoon, up in Wigan.

I started out looking for a low-mileage SL and ended up buying just that, despite a close moment with that there 851/900!

A quick spec is:

'96 900SL
6200 miles
4 previous carers
Very tidy condition but a bit mucky having not been used since 08/03.

Bought her home (200mls), a quick wash, and an hour in the county remembering how to ride...

Anyone for a spin?

Cheers,

Ali

Old 15-May-2004, 20:54
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
SL

Well done Ali
looks smart, get the belts checked and then done if its been standing for any length of time as they can tend to miss shape if left in one position.
might see you at boxy some time.
enjoy
Old 15-May-2004, 21:06
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
nice one Ali.
mine won't be back on the road for a while, but could make it round your neck of the woods one weekend on the bandit.
I'll echo what 888heaven said and make sure you get the belts changed.

cheers, Chi
Old 15-May-2004, 21:13
Ducati Meccanica

Going down to see Louigi in Bath first thing Saturday morning to change them and check the valves.

Definitely up for Boxhill. Been a couple of years since I was there so no idea what day's popular these days. Must track down some nice pipes as she's hiding her light under a bushel at the mo!

What's the score with your Duc chi?

Cheers,

Ali
Old 15-May-2004, 22:49
Montjuic

Mood: I'm off
well done ali, good choice. she looks great.
i remember when my 900sl was completely standard, didn't last very long.
Old 15-May-2004, 23:35
Ducati Meccanica

I had a 4 hour train ride to get to Wigan, mostly spent writing what mods I'd like to make to the SL. A quick review of what it would cost leads me to believe it'd be cheaper to buy a gold-plated 999R and chuck my 900 lump in it! One step at a time....

Tell me more about that there back wheel.

Cheers,

Ali
Old 16-May-2004, 01:12
Big Twin

Deciding what mods are half the fun!

Mine was already quite extensively modified when I got it, but it's currently getting; new engine with high-comp pistons, sbk front forks, shock rebuild, frame and wheel painting, and anything else that I can afford.

Can't find the previous picture, so here's another "before" piccie. Will post the "after" pages once it's done.
Old 16-May-2004, 01:57
Ducati Meccanica

***drool*** Better not tell me where you live or I'll 'ave that swingarm off you! That, a pair of mags and a cycle cat milled yoke and I'll be a happy man. The 916 seat unit works amazingly well considering the difference in the overall bike designs. If it looks that good it should be storming when you get her back on the road.

I really want to get cracking on the fork conversion but I'm not going to do squat until the right forks turn up. I'm looking for something a little special like those GP gas cartridge ohlins. I'm also looking for a stupidly weathly elderly heiress with a love of poverty sticken toy-boys....

Are you rebuilding the showa or it is something more trick?

Cheers,

Ali
Old 16-May-2004, 08:15
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Very Nice Ali,

Hope you have lots of fun with her.

The frame looks too clean - has it been painted? and it looks a different shade to most I have seen.

I note the rear brake fluid colour is exactly the same as mine - never changed since the bike was new

Enjoy !!!
Old 16-May-2004, 18:41
Big Twin

The swingarm was already on when I got it but you can get one of your very own for £382 plus VAT (they are based in Derbyshire) - don't know if there are any significant benefits but it sure looks nice!

http://www.metmachex.co.uk/product_i...php?product=24

Front forks will be showas with Ohlins internals. Nelly will be able to give you a full report on how much of a pain they are to fit when he is done with mine (at the very least, make sure the caliper spacings are the older 40mm unless you want to change the calipers)

The rear will be a rebuild with a softer spring as it appears I am literally half the man the previous owner was.

I will post a list of my currently available stupidly wealthy elderly heiresses once I've milked them for everything I need.

cheers, Chi