Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-May-2004, 22:02
Mille

Position of tax holder

My diy ability is nil,but I thought I would be able to find a good position to mount new tax holder on my SL, but I am struggling to find a nice postion.I know all of the bikes that we ride are taxed?!!! so I am open to sensible offers of polite locations.

Old 18-May-2004, 22:09

Mood: not last..just been round twice
hi, i had the same dilema with my bike. so i keep the tax disc in my jacket when i ride the bike. technically not legal but i have spoke to the boys in blue and as long as its taxed you will find most turn a blind eye providing they dont have any other reason to get annoyed with you.
Old 18-May-2004, 23:00
WSB Hero
Bikes: 1993 - 944SS & Aprilia Falco

Hmmm, my disc holder has a good leg on it so that I;v ebeen able to mount it using the left footrest bracket (undo the bolts and ease it gently away) but, looking at some of the pics my leg obstructs the disc at times....not a bad thing I guess

Piccy attached....
Old 19-May-2004, 08:32
Big Twin

Mood: Train comes and I know its destination
I know I have a 750 Sport, not an SL, but my disc holder is mounted on the mirror bracket behind the fairing. The disc itself is visible through the screen. Maybe that would work for an SL?
It does annoy the plods - at checkpoints they rub their hands together when they can't see the disc at first, then it's, "Oh, didn't see it ...". Heh.
Old 19-May-2004, 09:40
500SD

Mood: Corners like a Lego man
I don't know if it's still the case (or even if its true!) but years ago I was told that the 'official' position of the tax disc is on the left side of the bike and in front of the rider.

If someone was being very thorough in inspecting a bike, it's one of this little things that could get picked up!!
Old 19-May-2004, 09:56
GTL
Bikes: ST4s ABS

Quote:
Originally posted by Eamonn
I don't know if it's still the case (or even if its true!) but years ago I was told that the 'official' position of the tax disc is on the left side of the bike and in front of the rider.

If someone was being very thorough in inspecting a bike, it's one of this little things that could get picked up!!

Maybe I'm showing my age but that is exactly how I have always understood the required position of the tax disc to be.
On my 95 SS I've mounted the holder on the LH fairing bracket just ahead of my knee. It fits there nicely with a washer between it and the frame. Not too obvious but definitely legal.
I've always hated tax disc holders bolted to a front brake caliper. The disc usually ends up as an unreadable mush in no time.
Old 19-May-2004, 11:47
Big Twin

Mood: suck, squeeze, bang,......fart?
I couldn't find anywhere else to put it so mine is in the same place as Franks.
Old 19-May-2004, 11:55
WSB Hero

Searched for ages for the legal stand point.....from memory for a bike it used to be "forward of the rider, now higher than (cant remember, 4 foot?) and visible from the road side"

Interestingly the DVLA website only says...

"A vehicle licence (commonly known as the tax disc) shows that you have paid the necessary vehicle excise duty [VED] for your vehicle. It shows the registration mark (number) and the date up to which you have paid VED. You must display this disc on the left-hand side of the vehicle's windscreen. If the vehicle does not have a windscreen fitted, you will need to display the disc on the nearside of the vehicle (the passenger side)."

I agree with Derek though - mounting anything else on the front wheel / forks needs careful consideration.
Old 19-May-2004, 12:03
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
I keep mine under the seat after it er..........."fell off sir" :P
Damn ugly things anyhow
Old 19-May-2004, 12:09
WSB Hero

Dont worry Nelly - I'm sure the DVLA will produce a YELLOW disc someday maybe during April one year

I'm surprised Chicken is allowing you anytime off to reply to threads - I can imagine him stood over you with a 520 chain in hand while you slave over his super clean Mo-cheen

Take care Guys !!!