Ducati Sporting Club

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 18-Aug-2009, 08:42 PM
duc daz's Avatar
duc daz duc daz is offline
Registered Forum User
500SD
 
Posts: 549
Join Date: Sep 2005
Mood: a ducati is for life not just for christmas
Unhappy when will it end?????

ive had my 1098 since march 2008 ,,and what a nightmare ive had with it ,,while riding along ive had both mirrors fall out,,,oil leak,,,misted clocks,,,and now the small heat guard under the seat has broken of at the welds,,,when will it end...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 19-Aug-2009, 07:57 PM
MFish MFish is offline
Registered Forum User
 
Posts: 40
Join Date: Feb 2007
Mood: Moody
Quote:
Originally Posted by duc daz
ive had my 1098 since march 2008 ,,and what a nightmare ive had with it ,,while riding along ive had both mirrors fall out,,,oil leak,,,misted clocks,,,and now the small heat guard under the seat has broken of at the welds,,,when will it end...
Think yourself lucky - my 1098s lunched its engine last night, but to be fair I have done 11,000 miles in 2 1/2 years
Cheers,
Michael.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 20-Aug-2009, 02:09 PM
Guido's Avatar
DSC Member Guido Guido is offline
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR
 
Posts: 2,664
Join Date: Apr 1999
Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
Quote:
Originally Posted by MFish
Think yourself lucky - my 1098s lunched its engine last night, but to be fair I have done 11,000 miles in 2 1/2 years
Cheers,
Michael.

Sad thing is. If you'd done 11k miles in a car and it had lunched it's engine, you'd be wrapping it around the dealer's/manufacturer's head.

In both cases folks, I would kick up a fuss if you don't get some action. Should not be happening in 2009 after ten of 1000's of people rib us Ducati owners about build quality. The QA element should be making these things bullet proof now, not the same old bikes that has 5 working fine and 3 imploding. You can bet your bottom dollar if Ducati Corse were suffering such irregular build quality "mishaps" at MotoGP, something would happen pretty damn quick, so why should the peeps who actually pay hard earned cash for their machines and fly the flag for the brand get a lesser level of service.

Zero-tolerance Britain...tis the only way **** service or build quality etc gets to be a thing of the past

Good luck to you both.


www.copeimages.com

WeeJohnyB, Best instructor out there http://www.nolimitstrackdays.com/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 20-Aug-2009, 03:18 PM
twpd twpd is offline
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse
 
Posts: 3,170
Join Date: Feb 2002
Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Guido is right. 11k miles is exceedingly poor. TBH, at the prices these bikes cost I'd be expecting a mimimum of 50k miles out of an engine if I owned it from new.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 20-Aug-2009, 09:00 PM
duc daz's Avatar
duc daz duc daz is offline
Registered Forum User
500SD
 
Posts: 549
Join Date: Sep 2005
Mood: a ducati is for life not just for christmas
Unhappy

thanks for your surport,,,its the traveling backwards and forwards to the dealers that does my head in ,,having the misses to bring me back after taking it there and taking me there to pick it up when its had the work done on it,,,and loosing out on loverly sunny days,,,i will **** myself when the warranty runs out..
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 20-Aug-2009, 09:50 PM
bradders's Avatar
bradders bradders is offline
Registered Forum User
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike
 
Posts: 11,915
Join Date: Aug 2003
Mood: waiting...
tbh I'd be ebaying it off, and getting another non-Friday one!!!

Know how it feels, I had a Friday Saab 93, when the latest model was released, one of the first few hundred off the line. Never ran right, back in the dealer once every two months and I did 80k in that!! So you have my sympathy
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 20-Aug-2009, 11:41 PM
DEMON's Avatar
DEMON DEMON is offline
Registered Forum User
Mille
Bikes: 996 sps foggy, 2001 r6, 1098S, s1000rr, Panigale 1199S
 
Posts: 248
Join Date: Jul 2005
Mood: on the back wheel !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
tbh I'd be ebaying it off, and getting another non-Friday one!!!

Know how it feels, I had a Friday Saab 93, when the latest model was released, one of the first few hundred off the line. Never ran right, back in the dealer once every two months and I did 80k in that!! So you have my sympathy
Bradders,
why are you wishing to dump a sick ducati onto an unsuspecting person buying on ebay ? surely we should be pushing this problem back to the manufacturers and have them shoulder the problem ? we should make suppliers/manuf's more responsible ? did you see the quick tv slot tonight about 'the sale of goods act' ? was tremendous, we should all be more informed
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 21-Aug-2009, 10:24 AM
bradders's Avatar
bradders bradders is offline
Registered Forum User
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike
 
Posts: 11,915
Join Date: Aug 2003
Mood: waiting...
sorry, but what would DUK or any manf do?! not a lot, maybe offer a slightly better trade in against a new one, but they get lumbered with the friday bike then...!

SOG act is ok, but tbh, as with my Saab, once a couple of things happen you focus on everything being wrong, so the slightest thing becomes a major issue. Its likely a new owner, without that friday-feeling, wont experience the same issues or, if they do, it will be kept into context. SOG wont help you with that and the obligation is to repair and be reasonable. Is something vibrating loose and falling off reasonable? not from SOG perspective

but yep, I'd flog ot and get another
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 21-Aug-2009, 10:32 AM
iang's Avatar
iang iang is offline
Registered Forum User
Big Twin
 
Posts: 1,170
Join Date: Jan 2003
Personally I would not be too concerned about any of the 'minor' problems except maybe the oil leak and would not class these faults as a 'nightmare'

The mirrors, misted clocks and exhaust heat shield are all well know 'faults' with the 2007/08 bikes, if it is just the glass falling out it is because the serrated washer on the spring post is weak and breaks easily. Misted clocks are occuring with loads of manufacturers, I have read on various forums about this.

The heat shield is lightly welded to the rear cylinder link pipe and a revised version is available, the Termi pipe does away with this so it must not harm anything.

My 1098S was one of the first and needed, mirrors, clocks, fuel line, radiator hose, rear sprocket carrier, ecu heat shield upgrade, revised ecu and maybe something I forgot about but none of these were serious problems, cost nothing to me and like most other new bikes are virtually expected until owners iron out the initial faults.

MFish's problem is what I would class as a nightmare, hopefully Ducati will fix it as a goodwill gesture. They spent over 5k on my mates 749R when it seized and it was 3/4 months out of warranty.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 21-Aug-2009, 11:48 PM
duc daz's Avatar
duc daz duc daz is offline
Registered Forum User
500SD
 
Posts: 549
Join Date: Sep 2005
Mood: a ducati is for life not just for christmas
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by iang
Personally I would not be too concerned about any of the 'minor' problems except maybe the oil leak and would not class these faults as a 'nightmare'

The mirrors, misted clocks and exhaust heat shield are all well know 'faults' with the 2007/08 bikes, if it is just the glass falling out it is because the serrated washer on the spring post is weak and breaks easily. Misted clocks are occuring with loads of manufacturers, I have read on various forums about this.

The heat shield is lightly welded to the rear cylinder link pipe and a revised version is available, the Termi pipe does away with this so it must not harm anything.

My 1098S was one of the first and needed, mirrors, clocks, fuel line, radiator hose, rear sprocket carrier, ecu heat shield upgrade, revised ecu and maybe something I forgot about but none of these were serious problems, cost nothing to me and like most other new bikes are virtually expected until owners iron out the initial faults.

MFish's problem is what I would class as a nightmare, hopefully Ducati will fix it as a goodwill gesture. They spent over 5k on my mates 749R when it seized and it was 3/4 months out of warranty.
where did that speel come from iang,,,All i want to do is enjoy riding my bike every weekend weather permiting of course,,but as these problems keep occuring its not happening.Ive missed out on so many ride outs
Reply With Quote
Reply
  
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Recent Posts - Contact Us - DSC Home - Archive - Top
Powered by vBulletin 3.5.4 - Copyright © 2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. - © Ducati Sporting Club - All times are GMT +1. The time now is 04:17 AM.