Ducati Sporting Club
Home Calendar Gallery Membership Online Shop DSC Blogs Extras
Go Back   Ducati Sporting Club > Model Specific - Discussion, Technical Problems and Help > 998 / 996 / 916 / 748
Reload this Page Regulator/Rectifier Wiring Help Please.
Forum Home Register FAQ Search Forum Recent Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-Nov-2009, 02:56 PM
spinoli1 spinoli1 is offline
Registered Forum User
Mille
Bikes: 998Bip
 
Posts: 394
Join Date: Sep 2004
Mood: Carbonara
Regulator/Rectifier Wiring Help Please.

Hi Folks - 2002 998 Bip

There are 3 yellow wires that come out of the reg/rec, which lead to a block connector. The other side of the block connector has 3 yellow wires leaving the connector.

On my bike, this block connector caught fire and has melted away completely - spectacular, but not what you want on the way home on a Firday night.

I am going to replace the damaged wires and put in a replacement block connector.

The problem is I cannot identify which yellow wire (from the reg rec) should connect to which of the 3 yellow wires on the other side of the block connector.

Can anyone help me with this? Or does it not matter (any yellow wire to any yellow wire)?

I am an electrical moron, and would appreciate any advice.

Spin

BTW, once the wiring is sorted, I will set about establishing why it caught fire in the first place.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-Nov-2009, 03:01 PM
TopiToo TopiToo is offline
Registered Forum User
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 748ish . .
 
Posts: 2,122
Join Date: Sep 2001
Mood: Sampai jumpa lagi
Hello

maybe of some help

http://www.ducatisportingclub.com/sh...ad.php?t=78401

TopiToo
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-Nov-2009, 04:00 PM
Ghost's Avatar
DSC Member Ghost Ghost is offline
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620
 
Posts: 1,830
Join Date: Mar 2008
Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
It doesn't matter, just make the new connection. Use some good quality terminals and coat with silicone grease.


Quote:
Originally Posted by spinoli1
Hi Folks - 2002 998 Bip

There are 3 yellow wires that come out of the reg/rec, which lead to a block connector. The other side of the block connector has 3 yellow wires leaving the connector.

On my bike, this block connector caught fire and has melted away completely - spectacular, but not what you want on the way home on a Firday night.

I am going to replace the damaged wires and put in a replacement block connector.

The problem is I cannot identify which yellow wire (from the reg rec) should connect to which of the 3 yellow wires on the other side of the block connector.

Can anyone help me with this? Or does it not matter (any yellow wire to any yellow wire)?

I am an electrical moron, and would appreciate any advice.

Spin

BTW, once the wiring is sorted, I will set about establishing why it caught fire in the first place.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-Nov-2009, 04:09 PM
spinoli1 spinoli1 is offline
Registered Forum User
Mille
Bikes: 998Bip
 
Posts: 394
Join Date: Sep 2004
Mood: Carbonara
Thanks TopiToo.

Unfortunately, that thread doesn't answer my question - which yellow wire to which yellow wire.

Hopefully someone can answer this question.

Spin
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-Nov-2009, 04:13 PM
spinoli1 spinoli1 is offline
Registered Forum User
Mille
Bikes: 998Bip
 
Posts: 394
Join Date: Sep 2004
Mood: Carbonara
Whilst I was reading Shazam's article, Ghost posted the answer I am seeking.

Ghost - many thanks - Just to be absolutely sure (and before I do more damage because I have misunderstood your answer) are you saying that I can connect any of the reg/rec yellow wires to any of the yellow wires on the other side of the block connector?

Sorry to be pedantic, but really don't want another flamer.

Cheers,

Spin
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-Nov-2009, 04:29 PM
skidlids's Avatar
DSC Region Organiser skidlids skidlids is offline
MotoGP God
 
Posts: 18,150
Join Date: Apr 2002
Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinoli1
Whilst I was reading Shazam's article, Ghost posted the answer I am seeking.

Ghost - many thanks - Just to be absolutely sure (and before I do more damage because I have misunderstood your answer) are you saying that I can connect any of the reg/rec yellow wires to any of the yellow wires on the other side of the block connector?

Sorry to be pedantic, but really don't want another flamer.

Cheers,

Spin

Yes its safe to connect any yellow wire from the alternator to any yellow wire going to the regulator, they all have a AC voltage and as its not driving a motor the order in which they are connected doesn't matter
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-Nov-2009, 07:52 PM
spinoli1 spinoli1 is offline
Registered Forum User
Mille
Bikes: 998Bip
 
Posts: 394
Join Date: Sep 2004
Mood: Carbonara
Thanks guys!

Spin
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-Nov-2009, 08:56 PM
Ghost's Avatar
DSC Member Ghost Ghost is offline
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
Bikes: Ducati 749, Phil Read Replica, DD 620
 
Posts: 1,830
Join Date: Mar 2008
Mood: 2011 DD Class 'B' Champion
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Yes its safe to connect any yellow wire from the alternator to any yellow wire going to the regulator, they all have a AC voltage and as its not driving a motor the order in which they are connected doesn't matter


Cheers Kev, saved my fingers.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-Nov-2009, 10:41 AM
MLC Racing's Avatar
MLC Racing MLC Racing is offline
Registered Forum User
500SD
 
Posts: 620
Join Date: Jun 2006
Mood: Moto Guzzi are the new Ducati??
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinoli1
Hi Folks - 2002 998 Bip

On my bike, this block connector caught fire and has melted away completely - spectacular, but not what you want on the way home on a Firday night.

BTW, once the wiring is sorted, I will set about establishing why it caught fire in the first place.


I'd be interested to know what caused your electrical failure as the block connector on my DD bike has a certain charcoaly, crispyness about it!!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-Nov-2009, 01:05 PM
nelly's Avatar
DSC Member nelly nelly is offline
DSC Club Member
Ducati Corse
 
Posts: 3,133
Join Date: Jan 2002
Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Pretty common. The connectors get dirty or corroded. This causes increased resistance across the terminals and manifests itself as heat. There can be some pretty high Amp'age across tehre and the heat melts the plastic connector and insulation. Snowballs from that as the resistance increases and eventually the assembly melts/fails.
Regular cleaning and electrolyte helps.


.....but better in YELLOW, or Bloo and now even RED

www.cornerspeed.co.uk you know you want to
http://www.nolimitstrackdays.com the best trackday organisers in the UK
Reply With Quote
Reply
  
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Recent Posts - Contact Us - DSC Home - Archive - Top
Powered by vBulletin 3.5.4 - Copyright © 2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. - © Ducati Sporting Club - All times are GMT +1. The time now is 05:38 AM.