Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Jun-2004, 16:47

Mood: Enjoying life..!!!
Visit to Bonnie Scotland...

I've decided to take advantage of a possible lull in the rain over the next few days and visit the Highlands and Islands.
Stornoway is on the agenda - probably get there on Thursday / Friday. Setting off Birmingham Tuesday morning and thinking of stopping somewhere over the border Tuesday night - anyone any ideas? Are there any meets planned in Scotland between Tuesday and Sunday?
Looking for a Kevlar Kilt with Hiprotec just so I'll fit in (but worried about the draught!
Tony
Old 12-Jun-2004, 17:25
500SD

Mood: Is it summer yet?
Tony,

We don't have anything planned up here over the coming week I'm affraid.

However, and depending on your route, I'll be at Ducati Glasgow sometime on Wednesday for a while probably - if you can, be sure to pop in and we'll cajole Harry (the ever friendly parts man) into making a coffee or 2 to warm your bones.

Forget the kevlar kilt mate - they always fail the abrasion tests! Besides that, you know where the midgies will nest.

Cheers!

Scot
Old 12-Jun-2004, 23:57

Hi Scot,
Thanks for the reply. Glasgow could be on the itinerary but not likely to be until Sunday/Monday. If Harry's in do you think he'll put the kettle on?
Tony
Old 13-Jun-2004, 00:09
500SD

Tone,

Duc Glasgow is shut on Mondays mate - Harry will defo NOT put the kettle on for you that day.

If you make it on Sunday, you're definitely in with a shout though.

Not sure is happy Harry works on Sundays, but Martin and Rab will make you welcome.

Cheers!

Scott
Old 13-Jun-2004, 20:53

Mood: Variable
He ( Harry ) is a nice wee chap isn't he ?
Gave me a pile of posters & stuff for my lads when I was in one day.
Such a shame he's memorised my Visa card number.
Old 13-Jun-2004, 21:00
500SD

Harry is a diamond.

A rough one for sure. But a diamond none the less.

Robbie - since you're in Scotland, and I don't believe I have your contact info, could you ping me offline with your details so I can add you to the Scottish region e-mail list that I have?

Cheers!

Scott
Old 15-Jun-2004, 23:13

Mood: Variable
Scottch

You have u2u.

Robbie
Old 16-Jun-2004, 09:53
Mille

Mood: .
Tony,

I have just returned from a fabulous weekend up in the highlands and islands. If you get the chance, take the road from Fort William to the Isle of Skye, it's about 300 miles (A82 and A87 if i remember correctly) and then head up over the island to the north to Uig. I have never ridden such cracking roads in all my puff. So fast, so empty and you can see for miles. No police and no cameras. Just amazing. There was 12 of us up there for three days. Then we went up to Inverness and Nairn, again cracking roads. We were based in Fort William and rode out from there each day. Got soaked on the way back to Newcastle on Monday of course!!

Cheers,
Mark

[Edited on 16-6-2004 by MarkyMark76]
Old 16-Jun-2004, 12:00
500SD

Mark,

Be sure and drop us a line the next time to venture this side of the border!

Cheers!

Scott
Old 17-Jun-2004, 01:13

Hi Guys,
Well I did get to Scotland but...Rode up Monday night and stayed in Lancaster then up to the Mull of Kintyre (well you have to don't you!). Then up to Oban Tuesday night. This morning fog/mist and rain with more promised. Couldn't see anything and by this time suffering from the weight of the back-pack (should've left the golf clubs at home) and the riding position which is a bit new to me. So, after riding up towards Skye, turned back and stopped only briefly at Tyndrum for a natter and a bowl of soup (now who'd have thought that skink was smoked fish soup?). Met a few fellow bikers who were wringing out their gloves and heading inland for somewhere dry. Secretly I was glad I wasn't the only one who'd whimped the wet weather...Even some locals said it was some of the worst you'd had. Drove down the Loch Lomond road to Glasgow where Harry obliged with a coffee (nice chap - good recommendation Scott) then hot-footed home (Stratford-upon-Avon) in search of a good Chiropractor. I now look like a cross between John Wayne and the Hunchback of Notre Dame ......so some improvement (Good job the Duke will pull the chicks for me - just hope some of them are nurses!!).
A short trip but as Arnie said ... I'll be back..