Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 12-Jun-2004, 23:47
500SD

Mood: Come on spring!!!
748R chips

Ive just read this post and im a bit concerned about how my 748R will perform when iv finished rebuilding it

http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/prodd748r.html

Do they really run as badly as this guy describes? What have you lads done to solve the flat spot problems? What chips are you using and reccomend? Any1 using this blokes chip?

Cheers
Old 23-Jun-2004, 14:17
Mille

Ive got a JHP in mine and all seems okay, no stalling on harsh braking and has got ride of the flat spot that is supposed to be there.

Seems okay and is recommended by others.

TJ
Old 23-Jun-2004, 18:38
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
Contact Rich Llewellyn (Louigi Moto) on 07775557797...hes done alot pof research/work on the 748R motor and he does his own conversion with the fuel injection to iron out the flatspot..tell him nat sent yer !!!

Cheers
Nat
Old 23-Jun-2004, 18:51
Big Twin

Mood: Diet
I do not know this system (or any of the others) but it seems that everyone has the best system there is !

I would talk with all the experts that have good feedback from the message board, JHP Simga etc before spending money

Rob
Old 10-Jul-2004, 16:44
Mille

Mood: FIVE!!!!Guess We'll Keep It
Had a DP chip in for best part of a year,wasn't that impressed,spluttering at around 3k,flat spot about 7k.fitted a JHP one a couple of weeks ago,finally got around to riding the bleeding bike today(long story) and the bike feels a hell of a lot better,idles smoother,picks up a lot quicker and no flat spots!!Even fells more rideable round town
Old 10-Jul-2004, 17:12
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
As with all chips, if it's set up badly then it'll run like a pig. The R is just a little more difficult to set up.
JHP's chips seem to work quite well, and probably the best of all is the FIM.
The combination of racey cams and the shower injectors seems to be the crux of the problem. Small throttle openings result in fuel puddling on the back of the throttles. When you crack it open, then you get fuel entering the air flow that's not atomised properly. For a split second, this causes a stutter.
Setting them up carefully does make them run OK though.
I wouldn't read too much into the article. They are different, but at the end of the day, he's trying to sell you a $300 eprom that solves all your problems. Set it up badly and it'll run even worse.
Old 11-Jul-2004, 02:13
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: '01 Ducati 748R and '04 Mille RSVR

Mood: Awaiting the arrival of the sun and the disappearance of the rain
I had a DP chip in mine form new and it wouldn't run at all. Spanners and a big bag sprang to mind!!!!

Got a JHP chip and it now runs well. Had it fettled by my dealer and it runs even better - i.e. doesn't die breaking for roundabouts etc.
Old 12-Jul-2004, 23:38

I've got an Ultimap FIM UM241 in my 2002. It's better but still there's a flat spot around 5000 rpm an minor ones further up.

I don't think a chip alone can cure the flat spot.

Apart from that it goes really well and, I'm not sure, but I think it moved the rev limiter (I try to stay off it).
Old 22-Sep-2004, 21:44
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: have owned 748/853/916/749/853R/748/848 not sure whats next...

Mood: excited about the changes made to averysmotorcycles.co.uk that are coming up
im looking at buying a 748 r but am a bit concerned by all of this, what should i be looking for when buying my bike ??

cheers

dave
Old 23-Sep-2004, 09:32
Mille
Bikes: ST4S

Mood: Finally gotten over the 748R getting stolen thing. Actually, no i haven't !
I have been talking to this guy via e mail for the past couple of weeks. I thought i would take a risk and buy one, but bottled out. Personally a safer bet is to buy an Fim ultimap from Sigma with some dyno setup. Largely because Sigma are here in the uk so you can go and talk to them if there is a problem.
I actually think my R runs ok ( not perfect) it never stalls or sputters but until i try a better set up one i will not know for sure.
keith