Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 16-Sep-2011, 14:02
500SD
Bikes: 803 rs race bike

Front Fork Spring query

I think I am running 750SS front forks, they have the 65mm caliper spacing, so I can run two discs. I want to replace the springs for heavier ones as I am down to 3mm and my laptimes are getting quicker and my braking better. I read else where on the DSC site that "In the later Marzocchi forks (65mm caliper mount) I can use Ohlins springs for a 748/916 (08627-90) with an Air Gap 110mm to 120mm (the nearer to 110mm the better)" so my question is how do I tell what forks I have, and/or will all the 748/916 spring range fit all forks with a 65mm caliper mount.

I suspect I will go for a 9.5kg/mm spring as it currently has an 8.5kg/mm spring and increase the oil to 10wt as it is running 7.5wt at the moment. Any advice would be welcome.

I need to get closer to them SVs next season!!!

Cheers

Paul #196 (PDMCC & Wirral 100)

P.S - the bike is a 600ss, Matt Trainors old one.
Old 16-Sep-2011, 14:11
500SD

9.5 seems a bit heavy. Just got 9.5s in mine but I weigh 113 kg without kit.
Mark.
Old 16-Sep-2011, 15:03
DSC Club Rep
Ducati Corse
Bikes: Monster 1100 EVO

Mood: I'm A Grandad again :-)
Hi Paul,
As long as the forks are not diving to quickly, and you are happy with the way they are working and if the static and rider sag is correct , leave them alone.

To adjust the travel of the forks you will need to add a bit more oil to each fork leg to leave between 5mm to 10mm left before the forks bottom.

When did you last change the fork oil???

Using 10wgt oil would not be a problem, it would slightly slow the fork travel and rebound down.

You should still have the different threaded spacers for the top of the forks rods(the ones that hold the spring down) these can be used to adjust the preload.

If you are at Oulton tomorrow, look me up for a chat.

I am the guy that set the bike up originaly for Matt.

Chris
Old 16-Sep-2011, 15:54
500SD
Bikes: 803 rs race bike

Cheers Chris will come and find you.

The forks had new 7.5wt oil at the start of the season done by Ducati John, he set the air gap to stock which I think was 155mm but I will need to check his service report to qualify that. I've just put new pads in SBS RS and the forks were dropping quickly at first but that may have been my heavy handedness with new pads.