Ducati Sporting Club
Home Calendar Gallery Membership Online Shop DSC Blogs Extras
Go Back   Ducati Sporting Club > Model Specific - Discussion, Technical Problems and Help > 998 / 996 / 916 / 748
Reload this Page Clutch lever - plunger pin problems
Forum Home Register FAQ Search Forum Recent Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-Jan-2012, 06:42 PM
007's Avatar
007 007 is offline
Registered Forum User
500SD
Bikes: 996 Bip
 
Posts: 524
Join Date: Nov 2007
Mood: CITIUS EST MELIUS!
Question Clutch lever - plunger pin problems



Hello All,

Wonder if you can help, please?

I'm having a spot of bother fitting some aftermarket levers. Brake lever was straight forward, however the clutch lever has proved rather difficult.

I've slackened the small grub screw, but still I find it very difficult to remove the clutch plunger pin from the old lever. Furthermore, there is small flat head screw on the opposite side which as already seen 'some attention' by the previous owner.

Is the plunger pin assembly available as a spare part? Does anyone have one please?

Your help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks & best regards,

James

Last edited by 007 : 02-Jan-2012 at 06:52 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-Jan-2012, 09:15 PM
skidlids's Avatar
DSC Region Organiser skidlids skidlids is offline
MotoGP God
 
Posts: 18,163
Join Date: Apr 2002
Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
No idea James I don't think I have changed a Clutch lever on the later (but Pre Radial) Clutch Masters, Earlier ones yes and later Radials but more often just change the whole Master for a brembo race item
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-Jan-2012, 07:52 PM
007's Avatar
007 007 is offline
Registered Forum User
500SD
Bikes: 996 Bip
 
Posts: 524
Join Date: Nov 2007
Mood: CITIUS EST MELIUS!
Help please!

Hello All,

53 views and no posts.......can anyone help please?

Thanks indeed.

James
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-Jan-2012, 10:05 PM
Col996s's Avatar
Col996s Col996s is offline
Registered Forum User
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: 996S
 
Posts: 2,320
Join Date: Feb 2004
Mood: Waiting for the warmer weather.
Sorry James I can't. I remember when I changed my levers that the pin on the clutch lever was attached differently to the brake one but it changed over without a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-Jan-2012, 10:41 PM
007's Avatar
007 007 is offline
Registered Forum User
500SD
Bikes: 996 Bip
 
Posts: 524
Join Date: Nov 2007
Mood: CITIUS EST MELIUS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col996s
Sorry James I can't. I remember when I changed my levers that the pin on the clutch lever was attached differently to the brake one but it changed over without a problem.

Thanks Colin/Skids, I'll just keep at it, but the plunger pin will not unscew. At the moment its soaking in WD-40.

Regards,

James
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-Jan-2012, 06:50 PM
KeefyB KeefyB is offline
Registered Forum User
WSB Hero
 
Posts: 7,603
Join Date: May 2002
Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
Is the plunger pin assembly available as a spare part? Does anyone have one please?
The pin assembly is part of the lever and not available separately.AF1 racing in the USA sell spare pins,but they work out around 45 with the postage.
AFAIK,nobody in the UK sells them.Best bet is to buy a s/h lever and be careful removing the pin assembly.

Forgot to say,iirc,the pin has loctite on the threads.Once the grub screw has been loosened,the pin should come out by carefully turning it out of the front of the lever.(In other words,screw it in,....if that makes sense!)

Last edited by KeefyB : 04-Jan-2012 at 07:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-Jan-2012, 09:43 PM
007's Avatar
007 007 is offline
Registered Forum User
500SD
Bikes: 996 Bip
 
Posts: 524
Join Date: Nov 2007
Mood: CITIUS EST MELIUS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by KeefyB
The pin assembly is part of the lever and not available separately.AF1 racing in the USA sell spare pins,but they work out around 45 with the postage.
AFAIK,nobody in the UK sells them.Best bet is to buy a s/h lever and be careful removing the pin assembly.

Forgot to say,iirc,the pin has loctite on the threads.Once the grub screw has been loosened,the pin should come out by carefully turning it out of the front of the lever.(In other words,screw it in,....if that makes sense!)

Thanks indeed for your help Keefy, good to hear from you.

I'll have another go, as I've backed off the grub screw already.

Regards,

James
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-Jan-2012, 08:33 PM
007's Avatar
007 007 is offline
Registered Forum User
500SD
Bikes: 996 Bip
 
Posts: 524
Join Date: Nov 2007
Mood: CITIUS EST MELIUS!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
Thanks indeed for your help Keefy, good to hear from you.

I'll have another go, as I've backed off the grub screw already.

Regards,

James

I'm still having no joy.

I've tried screwing the plunger pin out via the slotted head after backing off the grub screw but to no avail. The slotted head has already seen some attention and is almost rounded off. At the moment the plunger pin is soaking in a bath of WD-40!

Does anyone have a decent spare OE clutch lever for sale please? Hopefully I'll be able to use the plunger pin assembly from the donor lever.

Thanks for your help.

James
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 13-Jan-2012, 03:30 PM
Lee's Avatar
Lee Lee is offline
Registered Forum User
Mille
Bikes: Multistrada 1000 S DS
 
Posts: 253
Join Date: Sep 2004
Hi James,

Just thinking out load here, when you say you 'backed off the grub screw' - you have unscrewed it enough I trust!

I had to drill mine out last year :-0

Good luck with it,

Lee
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 16-Jan-2012, 06:13 PM
KeefyB KeefyB is offline
Registered Forum User
WSB Hero
 
Posts: 7,603
Join Date: May 2002
Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007
Does anyone have a decent spare OE clutch lever for sale please? Hopefully I'll be able to use the plunger pin assembly from the donor lever.
Any good?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aprilia-RS...9#ht_500wt_969
Reply With Quote
Reply
  
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Recent Posts - Contact Us - DSC Home - Archive - Top
Powered by vBulletin 3.5.4 - Copyright © 2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. - © Ducati Sporting Club - All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:11 AM.