Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 30-Jun-2004, 09:47

750ss Buying advice

Hey peeps, Hope you can help me. I'm currently looking to buy my first big bike after passing my test on Monday

I know what model/ age/ colour bike etc i want and they seem to be a rare as rocking horse do do. I have spotted one in the autotrader which has been there for about 3 months now, problem is it has been chipped and the insurance company won't touch it. Am i better off just walking away or can i get it put back to it's original state? What do ya think peeps?
Old 30-Jun-2004, 10:51
500SD

Mood: I can live with backpain!
I'd just leave it for at least a year after your test before you start getting funky bits on your bikes,it'll also give you a baseline from which to judge any upgrades or improvement you might make-thats part of the fun anyway.
No point in getting hyper power if you'll be restricted as well.
If the bike is not selling then it could be worth making him an offer on the understanding that he would return the bike to stock or knock the cost of you doing it off his asking price,which is possibly too high anyway if its been on the market for a while.
Always worth asking though,the worst he can do is say no.:P
Old 30-Jun-2004, 11:38

Yeah, the point was i don't really want any mods (apart from maybe performance can for the sound) i certainly don't want a chipped engine but this is the only red fully faired 750ss i've seen in months.

There's a couple of half faired ones about but i'm not that keen, maybe look better with a belly pan? if anyone has a picture of a half faired ss with belly pan i'd like to see what it looks like.

Restrictions? are you talking about my lack of riding skills? only restriction i've got
Old 30-Jun-2004, 11:54
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
You can return the half-faired to full-faired very easily. Means you can always put your half-fairing back on, with a couple of crash-bungs, when you want to take her to a track day.

I'd be much more concerned with how the bikes been treated, and what condition it's currently in, than whether it has a full fairing or not. An abused duke is not a funny prospect......

Take a bit of time and nail the right one.

ps: Just had a look on autotrader. I know you want red (and all three of my dukes have been red) but, if you must have one now, then that '97 yellow one for £2300 looks like a complete bargain. With the money you saved from the termis you can buy yourself a complete set of red bodywork on ebay. Just a thought.
Old 30-Jun-2004, 12:37

Mood: ..runnin on fumes....
Hi There

..yeah - wise words indeed ali, I've just had a quick scan around too and there seems to be no shortage of ones to consider... like this one for instance

http://motorbikes.uk.freeads.net/199..._750-91892.htm

..quite high miles but def worth a once over - take your time up this end of the sale and it will be far far less painful later on ali_G - .. best of luck

Cheers

Dano

oh.. here's my half faired 900ss - no belly pan but 916 single seat conversion, twin spotters, high level cans etc... not everyone's cup o' tea but... I like it

Danos Ducati

[Edited on 30-6-2004 by DanShapotsky]
Old 30-Jun-2004, 12:47

Cheers for helping out guys but i'm after a new shape ss, the ones with fuel injection etc as i've been led to believe that these are better built and more reliable than the old ones?

Also i thought the half faired ones were a pain to convert to full fairing as you need to replace the whole fairing rather than simply bolting the bottom half on? I could be wrong

By the way, i spoke to the seller of the modded one, and he said he could swap the race cans for road legal ones and that the bike probably wasn't chipped (even though the ad says it is?)