WSBK round1 Philip Island "spoiler"
Superpole cancelled after tragic accident
Sat, 25 Feb 05:22:00 2012
The first World Superbike Superpole session of the new season was cancelled following a fatal accident in the preceding race at Phillip Island, leaving Tom Sykes in pole position by default.
Young Australian rider Oscar McIntyre was fatally injured in a multi-bike collision during the early stages of the Australian Supersport/Superstock race.
The 17-year-old was competing in the opening round of the 2012 Superstock 600cc Championship.
Two other riders were involved, Luke Burgess and Michael Lockhart.
Burgess was treated at the circuit's medical centre before his release while Lockhart is under observation with non life-threatening injuries.
McIntyre was pronounced dead at the scene.
The accident brought an end to racing, with organisers also deciding to cancel the Superpole session, which had been scheduled to start at 15:00 local time.
In the absence of a Superpole session, the grid for Saturday's race will be determined by Q2 results, meaning Kawasaki rider Sykes will start on pole.
Max Biaggi starts behind him, followed by Carlos Checa and Jakub Smrz.
1. Tom Sykes GBR Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 31.323s
2. Max Biaggi ITA Aprilia Racing RSV-4 1m 31.477s
3. Carlos Checa ESP Althea Ducati 1098R 1m 31.621s
4. Jakub Smrz CZE Liberty Effenbert Ducati 1098R 1m 31.783s
5. Sylvain Guintoli FRA Effenbert Liberty Ducati 1098R 1m 31.832s
6. Leon Camier GBR Crescent Fixi Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 31.904s
7. Niccolo Canepa ITA Red Devils Ducati 1098R 1m 31.953s
8. Jonathan Rea GBR Honda WSBK CBR1000RR 1m 31.959s
9. Maxime Berger FRA Effenbert Liberty Ducati 1098R 1m 31.966s
10. Michel Fabrizio ITA BMW Italia Goldbet S1000RR 1m 32.068s
11. Eugene Laverty IRL Aprilia Racing RSV-4 1m 32.069s
12. Leon Haslam GBR BMW Motorrad S1000RR 1m 32.082s
13. Marco Melandri ITA BMW Motorrad S1000RR 1m 32.123s
14. Davide Giugliano ITA Althea Ducati 1098R 1m 32.198s
15. Chaz Davies GBR ParkinGO MTC Aprilia RSV-4 1m 32.338s
16. Joan Lascorz ESP Kawasaki Racing ZX-10R 1m 32.411s
- - -
17. Hiroshi Aoyama JPN Honda WSBK CBR1000RR 1m 32.576s
18. Bryan Staring AUS Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 32.613s
19. David Salom ESP Pedercini Kawasaki ZX-10R 1m 32.640s
20. Ayrton Badovini ITA BMW Italia Goldbet S1000RR 1m 32.703s
21. Lorenzo Zanetti ITA PATA Ducati 1098R 1m 32.782s
22. Josh Brookes AUS Crescent Fixi Suzuki GSX-R1000 1m 33.384s
23. Mark Aitchison AUS Grillini Progea BMW S1000RR 1m 33.396s
24. Raffaele De Rosa ITA Pro Ride Honda CBR1000RR 1m 33.401s
25. David Johnson AUS Rossair AEP BMW S1000RR 1m 33.816s