Ducati Sporting Club
Home Calendar Gallery Membership Online Shop DSC Blogs Extras
Go Back   Ducati Sporting Club > Model Specific - Discussion, Technical Problems and Help > 999 / 749
Reload this Page exhausts 999s and insurance
Forum Home Register FAQ Search Forum Recent Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 21-Mar-2012, 11:41 PM
al9 al9 is offline
Registered Forum User
Newbie
Bikes: Ducati 999 s mono
 
Posts: 7
Join Date: Mar 2012
exhausts 999s and insurance

hi i am getting a 999s mono in the next couple of days. it has termignoni carbon race pipe (has the originals aswell), now when trying to get a quote from ducati insurance online, it states modification, there is a box to check that says "exhaust-road legal upto 5%increase power", no i am guessing the termignoni carbon race pipes are not road legal, how much power increase do they make? and how do you guys do it when getting a quote as most of the 999s have these exhausts fitted and if they arent road legal what happens after an accident, is it the case you aint insured. any help guys
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 22-Mar-2012, 09:44 AM
ChrisBushell's Avatar
DSC Member ChrisBushell ChrisBushell is offline
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
 
Posts: 1,600
Join Date: Oct 2004
Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by al9
hi i am getting a 999s mono in the next couple of days. it has termignoni carbon race pipe (has the originals aswell), now when trying to get a quote from ducati insurance online, it states modification, there is a box to check that says "exhaust-road legal upto 5%increase power", no i am guessing the termignoni carbon race pipes are not road legal, how much power increase do they make? and how do you guys do it when getting a quote as most of the 999s have these exhausts fitted and if they arent road legal what happens after an accident, is it the case you aint insured. any help guys

Quite frankly you are better of phoning the broker than trying to do this on line. I am sure that someone like Ducai Insurance will provide cover including a Termi system - provided that you are honest and say what you have fitted. You may well also find that the system is not allowing more than 5% that you quote.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 22-Mar-2012, 10:04 AM
KeefyB KeefyB is offline
Registered Forum User
WSB Hero
 
Posts: 7,603
Join Date: May 2002
Mood: Lurkin'.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by al9
hi i am getting a 999s mono in the next couple of days. it has termignoni carbon race pipe (has the originals aswell), now when trying to get a quote from ducati insurance online, it states modification, there is a box to check that says "exhaust-road legal upto 5%increase power", no i am guessing the termignoni carbon race pipes are not road legal, how much power increase do they make? and how do you guys do it when getting a quote as most of the 999s have these exhausts fitted and if they arent road legal what happens after an accident, is it the case you aint insured. any help guys
Depends which system you have.If its the asmmetric can and front pipe the power gains are very small,...if anything.Not that loud either,tbh.My old 999 passed the MOT no problem.(I did grind off the 'not for road use' stamp.
The full 2-1-2 big bore system is a very different thing.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 22-Mar-2012, 05:44 PM
al9 al9 is offline
Registered Forum User
Newbie
Bikes: Ducati 999 s mono
 
Posts: 7
Join Date: Mar 2012
hi have spoken to ducati insurance service,they just want to know if the exhaust is road legal if it isnt ie doesnt have baffles they will not insure it.have txted the seller to ask if it has baffles waiting response, can baffles be bought separetly???
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 22-Mar-2012, 05:46 PM
ChrisBushell's Avatar
DSC Member ChrisBushell ChrisBushell is offline
DSC Club Member
Big Twin
 
Posts: 1,600
Join Date: Oct 2004
Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by al9
hi have spoken to ducati insurance service,they just want to know if the exhaust is road legal if it isnt ie doesnt have baffles they will not insure it.have txted the seller to ask if it has baffles waiting response, can baffles be bought separetly???
I will defer to others who may know better, but I would think that DB killers would be available on a well know auction site! Overall you shouldn't have a problem.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 22-Mar-2012, 06:09 PM
al9 al9 is offline
Registered Forum User
Newbie
Bikes: Ducati 999 s mono
 
Posts: 7
Join Date: Mar 2012
hi the seller says that the exhaust has baffles but underneath the exhaust says not for road use????? any help
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 22-Mar-2012, 07:56 PM
hugh jaynus's Avatar
hugh jaynus hugh jaynus is offline
Registered Forum User
 
Posts: 24
Join Date: Dec 2011
If its causing you a head ache buy a standard end can on eBay they are 10 to the dozen and can pick em up cheap. I think most bikers ride with race cans on but choose not to tell the insurance.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 22-Mar-2012, 08:37 PM
al9 al9 is offline
Registered Forum User
Newbie
Bikes: Ducati 999 s mono
 
Posts: 7
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh jaynus
If its causing you a head ache buy a standard end can on eBay they are 10 to the dozen and can pick em up cheap. I think most bikers ride with race cans on but choose not to tell the insurance.
it come with originals but i would like to insue it with termis if possible, as i guess if u put it on and have an accident the insurance wont pay out
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 25-Mar-2012, 09:09 PM
hugh jaynus's Avatar
hugh jaynus hugh jaynus is offline
Registered Forum User
 
Posts: 24
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by al9
it come with originals but i would like to insue it with termis if possible, as i guess if u put it on and have an accident the insurance wont pay out
thats exactly it. either declare it and pay, or dont and run the risk.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 25-Mar-2012, 09:14 PM
Cobbett's Avatar
Cobbett Cobbett is offline
Registered Forum User
Mille
Bikes: 750ss, 998s
 
Posts: 217
Join Date: Jan 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugh jaynus
thats exactly it. either declare it and pay, or dont and run the risk.

But this is the OP's problem: if he declares the cans it's not that they'll charge extra, it's that they won't cover at all because the cans are marked as not road legal.
Reply With Quote
Reply
  
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes
Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


Recent Posts - Contact Us - DSC Home - Archive - Top
Powered by vBulletin 3.5.4 - Copyright © 2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. - © Ducati Sporting Club - All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:59 PM.