Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Jul-2004, 15:38
500SD

Mood: Christ been away too long....
Tyres

There's probably been many posts on this but...I bought some of those Metzelers Sport M1 tyres, and they lasted about 3k?!?! They were grippy o.k. but didn't last bugger all.... before I had Metz Z4's and they did at least 6k, angle-grinder couldn't take the tread off.

Now I know I'm a lard-arse but surely that isn't right is it? That is heading towards ZX12 / Hayabusa mileages?!?!?!

I'm am now trying some Macadam 90's - so I'll see how they go.

(P'haps me right-hand's a bit too fruity? - Steady on the comments.....)

[Edited on 19-7-2004 by fatduke11111]
Old 20-Jul-2004, 08:14
Founder Member
Ducati Meccanica

Just had my first set of Avon Azarros on the ST2, did the trip to Spain and back two up fully luggaged and still have loadsa miles left on them. I've always liked the Metzelers on my ST2, agree with your comments about wear though, I used to put the soft compound on the front and hard on the back.
Old 20-Jul-2004, 09:02
Mille

Mood: Abbia Divertimento---o0o---Cassaforte Di Soggiomo
On my ST4s I have stayed with the factory fitted Michelin Pilot Sport. The front mileage wears to 6k and the back 4k, then they need changing or they are illegal within the next 300/500miles. Very happy with their performance in both wet and dry conditions and at all speeds, so I am loath to switch to another brand, but, always interested in other riders expüerience with other tyres.
Old 20-Jul-2004, 21:30
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Never had an ST but always gone for Battlax's myself, BT010F/020R for "touring" or BT010/12 both ends for faster riding, regardless of which bike I've ever had they've served me very well. Only nasty's I've ever had were on Michelin's, so maybe it's just psychological
Old 21-Jul-2004, 09:33
Ducati Corse

I've got D208's on mine and 3000 miles and one trackday later they are looking a bit iffy i have to say. Another 1500 miles should see them worn out. The back one has kept its profile though, perhaps thats down to the trackday.
Old 21-Jul-2004, 10:46

Tyres

I've got some Pirelli Dragons fron t and rear and have to say I've been very impressed. I do about 1000 motorway miles per month on the ST2 and they are on about 4000 and still look good. Most impressed
Old 22-Jul-2004, 02:12
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
My preferred tyre on st4s was bt010 for a combination of grip, wet and dry and reasonable wear rate (4000 miles from a rear 6000 miles from front)

Bridgestone bt020 on the rear would last a lot longer as someone else has mentioned.

Currently very impressed with standard compund Pirelli Diablo's. Current set on 996 have covered 2500 miles, performed great with not much wear, so i've joined the hordes who rave over them
Old 22-Jul-2004, 21:28
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
avon azaro sport touring
5000 from the back
this included cadwell track day
Old 22-Jul-2004, 21:52
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
One of the Pirelli Diablo raving hordes here, just the ordinary ones, not the corsas.

They've lasted me since the BHC mob went to the North West Mega meet, must've been 2500 miles ago, they've done the Cadwell trackday and still look good for another 2500 miles....

I was an Bridgstone 010 user before that. They were great, but I found that they seem to last quite well until about 3000 miles, and at that stage it looks as if they're only about half worn. Then they seem to wear very suddenly and you only get about another 500 out of them, a bit like a fuel guage that stays full for ages then plummets very suddenly.
Old 20-Sep-2004, 14:50
500SD
Bikes: MTS12S, R1, off road stuff, and vintage stuff too.

Mood: MTS1200 - yum yum yum yum yum yum yum ...
I've always gone with Bt010 front / rear, or occasionally a BT020 on the rear. I found that the rear tread pattern would really chunk up under heavy two-up riding (lots of engine breaking for bends, plenty of power on the way out).

2 years ago I had an 020 on the rear of my vfr800 down to the wear markers within 1500 miles, and no tread at all across most of it by 1800

This last trip I tried a Pirelli Dragon GTS on the advice of my local bike shop.
IMO it is just as grippy as the 020 but has stood up well to some serious riding over the last week. The other bikes shod with 020's all had quite heavy tyre wear, but mine looks pretty good still.
According to the Pirelli web site its extended life is something to do with the tread pattern.

I personally don't like the michelins as they tend to move around too much for my liking.