Ducati Sporting Club UK

Prev   Next
Old 22-Aug-2005, 13:24
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Fuel tank filling - update

I’m having a problem getting fuel tank to fill on the numpty. Ran out of fuel 2 weeks ago at 130 miles despite being certain I’d filled it to the top. On Saturday evening I went to garage took my time filling it, tipping bike from side to side as I did so, pushed down on forks and seat and could have sworn it was as full as possible, rode less than a mile home parked it on paddock stand and thought I’d check, fuel was no where near filler. Off with petrol can to garage, came back and it took almost 5 litres!! Sunday did 150 miles no problem, pulled in for fuel and once again took my time filling it, fuel meter showed 2.8 gals used yet I got about 9 litres in, I even moved bike whilst filling it to see if that worked. Once again rode off stopped after a mile or so and it was no where near the top. This happened every time I fuelled, only way round it was to fill, ride about 20 miles then fill it again, not easy in north west Scotland where fuel stops are few and far between on a Sunday. I use the fuel meter all the time and can now tell anyway but its still a guess as to how much is actually in there and I’m having to stop at 100 miles just to be safe.

Does anyone know if there is a breather on the fuel tank which might be blocked?? Or can suggest a better way to fill it.

[Edited on 25-8-2005 by Gizmo]