Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 24-Aug-2012, 16:58
DSC Club Member
Mille
Bikes: 620SS Desmo Due 800SS Minitwin 1000SS Monster 750

Mood: Inquisitive cat
i've been on 14:42 ... is that geared a little low then?
Old 02-Dec-2012, 20:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spjallen
Okay I still don’t understand properly.

If I were to run a 15 / 48 that would be similar to a 14 / 45 on ratios. Apart from the riding styles and personnel preference argument, what is the actual benefit and why would you run one than the other?

I get the benefit of the smaller front sprocket should equal quicker acceleration, smaller rear sprocket for top speed argument, but why would you choose one of these gearings over the other??

As you say this is the same ratio 3.2 and 3.21 respectively, so wouldn't make any difference to acceleration or top speed at rev limit, but with 15/48 you are running 4 teeth more than 14/45, so for the same length of chain the rear wheel will be 2 links closer to the swing arm pivot, (assuming there is enough adjustment) In theory, this shorter wheelbase will make the bike turn more quickly, but it will be less stable at high speed, and maybe lift the rear when hard on the brakes.

I have 14/46 at the moment, Roxy has 15/46 both with 5 speed box, the consensus seems to be not to mess with sprockets too much .

So what gearing do you all use and does anybody change gearing for different circuits, or is it not necessary ????
Old 02-Dec-2012, 22:23
500SD
Bikes: Honda CB350 K4, Ducati 749s

I changed things a lot last year from circuit to circuit. To be honest I think you need to find a gearing you like and work from there. I know the pieman ran 14 46 all year when he won the championship.