Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 08-Oct-2004, 15:55
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Thanks Lizzie for your correction, I thought the 620ie had been going longer than that but it said on a website I was looking at that it was introduced in late 2003..............
If you can indeed get a 620ie for £2,500 or less then it removes that argument. The big bore kit won't fit the 620 and was put in to even up the power figures, the 620 also has a 6 speed box (apart from the dark's which still have 5).
We didn't want to limit it to monster's only since the 600SS is a nice bike and is reasonably available-the 620ieSS is however favourite but is a VERY rare beast. Get yourselves an old SS or monster and have some (reasonably) cheap fun. The idea behind having only 4 rounds was again to keep the cost down-4 rounds will cost you about £1,000 with entries, fuel, getting there etc so was felt to be within even a fairly limited budget, and as long as the bikes are not to highly modified they can then be used to get the wife/partner through a bike licence, or even used to commute on. "What did you come to work on today?" "Oh I used my race bike........." How cool is that??

John
Old 08-Oct-2004, 16:00
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
"The consequences of this is that people of ability but lacking in funds/machinery are going to end up battling for no more than 7th-15th place for example, This is going to make them very very disheartened. "
Ask JohnyB Steve-we have been between 10-15 BHP down all season in GP250's, that's why we are now racing in the 'pre 95' class.

John
Old 08-Oct-2004, 16:27
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Damp
Cheapest 620 anything I can find is £3,150 for monster. Way out of my budget.

Having never raced I'm probably asking a dim question, but is there any scope for three races/day? If not, how many practice/qualifying sessions are we looking at?

Finally, if you remove the SS range then you're going to be further penalising the tall/pie-lovin' racers. The spares issue isn't that bad as a large portion of the bike is interchangeable.

Having said that, I'd be in for WJB's solution of a one model series on the grounds it'll be cheaper and probably more fun.

Ali
Old 08-Oct-2004, 16:32
BSB Star

Ali,

Have a look on here Bike Trader

Do a search on both 600 option, and the monster option, with 600cc for the exact cc. Do it as a national search.
Old 08-Oct-2004, 16:51
Ducati Meccanica

Flanker: Have done but still can't find a 620 for under £3k, only loads of 600s.

Matters not. I'm happier blatting around on a 600 that I don't have a loan for!
Old 08-Oct-2004, 16:54
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Is 112 dB loud enough?? What??
WJB's makes a lot of sense. This is an ambitious undertaking. Getting the rules right is critical in containing costs. However, this is very difficult to achieve as Andy relates from the MiniTwins example.

As others have said, it is highly desirable in my mind to have the club attempt such an undertaking. I'll definitely be along to watch and support the races, provided they are not all down south.

As WJB says, racing is expensive even when you don't crash as I have plenty of times. My racing season was plenty expensive even when you take the money spent on the bike out of the equation.

If I get out there again next year, it'll be on the bike I got. I can't afford in money or time to run second race bike. However, this series should be aimed at people trying to satisfy a couriosity or to get started in racing. I would be great if it accomplishes that.

Who will host this series?
Old 08-Oct-2004, 17:00
Mille

I have a cheque for £200 burning a hole in my desk....

I'm afraid I know little about this racing mularky but can't wait to give it a go.

I know even less about 600cc 2 valve Ducati's.

But having read what everyone has said and the proposed regs,my laymans opinion is as follows:

Chassis
Why can't we chop off all the unwanted bits?
Change the swing-arm - don't see why not - no idea how that may significantly help me? - so leave it stock
Suspension - regs seem fine to me
Brakes - regs seem ok
Wheels - stock wheels only
Fairings - can you fit one to a monster?
Tyres - control tyres only, supercorsa's or similar - seem to plenty around part worn
Suspension linkage - see swing arm above?
Catch tray - ok
Minimum weight - ok subject to chopping off the odd brackets etc

Engine
Overbores - why? if we're running 600's lets run 600's?
Compression - as regs
Valves etc - as regs
Clutch - as regs
Internals - as regs
Inlet stuff - as regs - I asume that any overkill will be restricted by valves etc.
Exhausts - as regs
Alternator etc - as regs
Fuel - as regs

Riders
all as the regs

So all that leaves me to ask is what would be a more competive beastie - the monster or the SS.

I don't mind which, just hurry up and make your bloody minds up so I can go and buy one before the bargains all go

The guys and gals who own monsters and ss's must think christmas has come early with us lot about to hit the market place
Old 08-Oct-2004, 17:21
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
as far am i'm concerned this is meant as a stepping stone on from trackdays so very much for virgin racers to dip their toes in therefore cost is obviously an issue. the cheaper it is the more people will be interested and the more likely it will be a success. same goes for bike spec. i will try to give it a go whatever the rules but their is clearly more incentive the more equal the bikes can be. no matter how much someone says "i dont mind coming last" "just want to out there" etc,
it will clearly be somewhat disconcerting going out there spending a fair bit of money knowing you're going to get you arse kicked every meeting.
imho make it as close to standard as posssible as said by others one model, cans and rearset etc if wanted. everything else bog standard.

image the thrill a virgin racer (like myself) would have if he had a genuine chance of a top ten finish in a race or dare i say it a podium.
Old 08-Oct-2004, 17:29
Ducati Meccanica

Quote:
So all that leaves me to ask is what would be a more competive beastie - the monster or the SS.

The theory would be SSs on the fast circuits (fairing) and monster on the twisties (slightly better power/weight). As I've already mentioned, some of us would suffer from a slight aerodynamic disadvantage on a monster.

I'm sure such concerns pale in comparison to whether you've got a cold, had a good nights sleep, ridden the track before, etc...
Old 08-Oct-2004, 17:29
BSB Star

How about super stock rules?