Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 24-Nov-2005, 17:39
BSB Star

Mood: All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing
Advice needed - flat roof

I have a flat roof on my workshop, and since felting it some months ago, the felt has lifted and crinkled in places and is holding water in said crinkles which is now finding it's way through the joints and into the workshop,

I've just been up on the roof and tried to pour felt goop onto the joints to try and slow it down, but the whole roof looks really crinkled now. I laid this in the summer when it was warm, and if anything would have expected the felt to shrink and contract as it got colder, but it seems the revers is true and as a result it's folding and crinkling.

Short of taking it all off and starting again, anyone got a quick and relatively cheap method of repair?

Had thought about trying to find someone with a tar boiler and simply pouring tar along all the joints, but for one, I don't know anyone with a tar boiler, and my local hire shop don't hire them.

Anyone care to offer some much needed advice before my new baby gets soggy.........
Old 24-Nov-2005, 17:57
Mille

yes,how many layers did you put down, if you did the job well it should be 3, and the first one should be heated up to the point that it melts, and thats the trick, you need a high power heat gun, and you melt the felt,
hope this helps
Old 24-Nov-2005, 18:01
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by bike mad
yes,how many layers did you put down, if you did the job well it should be 3, and the first one should be heated up to the point that it melts, and thats the trick, you need a high power heat gun, and you melt the felt,
hope this helps

Helps in as much as I done it wrong in the first place!
Old 24-Nov-2005, 18:04
Mille

sorry to hear that. but a lot of heat spread round will melt the felt and you will lose the wrinkles with out breaking the felt'
Old 24-Nov-2005, 18:05
Big Twin

Shouldn't they also be cross weaved?
Old 24-Nov-2005, 18:07
Ducati Meccanica

Got one here too. I purchased the more expensive self adhesive layer stuff that didn't require heating and stuck it straight onto new exterior ply roof. The there was a top layer with the gritty stuff on that was also self adhesive and stuck that on top.
It's been 3 years and the roof is as perfect as the day it went down.
Old 24-Nov-2005, 18:09
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by phoenix n max
I purchased the more expensive self adhesive layer stuff that didn't require heating and stuck it straight onto new exterior ply roof.

That was what I bought, but it obviously hasn't stuck despite me gluing all the joints. B*****D
Old 24-Nov-2005, 18:15
Big Twin

Get a couple of bottle jacks and jackals.
Knock a few bricks out of one end of the garage and stick the jackals in.
Knock a few more bricks out then stick the bottle jacks in and lift the whole of the roof at one end so you get a 17 degree slope.
Problem solved.
Old 24-Nov-2005, 18:15
Mille

when you do the last layer the joints should go against the slope,
but the important bit is to get a good seal on the joints, it's done by melting the edge of the felt, ps when I say melt whot I mean is you put heat on it till it goes soft and the surface starts to run, I have found that you need a lot of heat as its a large area and the felt cools down fast, take my advice and hire a large gas powered heat gun, and keep it on the move as it will burn the out side of the felt and not have time to soften the center,
Old 24-Nov-2005, 18:36
BSB Star

Quote:
Originally posted by bike mad
when you do the last layer the joints should go against the slope,
but the important bit is to get a good seal on the joints, it's done by melting the edge of the felt, ps when I say melt whot I mean is you put heat on it till it goes soft and the surface starts to run, I have found that you need a lot of heat as its a large area and the felt cools down fast, take my advice and hire a large gas powered heat gun, and keep it on the move as it will burn the out side of the felt and not have time to soften the center,

Guess what I'll be doing this weekend................

Didn't really want to play with my new toy

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit