Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 26-Nov-2005, 13:26
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
The responsees are playing a generation game.

Most here know of George beacuse of his drinking talent, not his football talent.

A fallen hero.

Tim
Old 26-Nov-2005, 19:29

I'm firmly in the 'no sympathy' camp for many of the reasons already stated, but as I discussed this with a colleague yesterday, he told me a few things about the organ doner process which are worth repeating.

Devils advocate mode on...

Organs are allocated using a number of rules, the first of which is tissue typing.
The number of suitable recipients for an available organ are actually very low.
When one is available, all compatible recipients are rated for suitability.
This takes into consideration the recipients health and ability to survive the procedure.
Simply put, Best was statistically the most suitable recipient available at the time, despite his illness.

I didn't change my opinion of Best, but it did make me think that I'm no better informed to judge organ placement than I am to judge any other part of the clinical care provided by our Health Service.

Rich
Old 26-Nov-2005, 20:37
Big Twin

Mood: :-)
Whatever our views on his life, can we all agree with one sentiment?
The title of the thread.
Rest in Peace George.
Endex.
Old 26-Nov-2005, 21:23
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Fabulous
We're all human, however much talent we may or may not have.

RIP George. I think this thread should be put to bed.
Old 26-Nov-2005, 21:29
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Cheers mate

R I P
Old 27-Nov-2005, 11:47
Montjuic

A light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long.

It's just the way it is! witness; Joey Dunlop, Steve Hislop, Jarno Saarinen, Jochen Rindt, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Brian Jones, et al

If you wouldn't give an alcoholic a new liver, would you also not help a motorcycle racer who has crashed?
An alcoholic chooses the next drink, a motorcycle racer chooses to ride on the edge knowing the risks.
Old 27-Nov-2005, 18:11
Mille

Mood: Lovin the Ducati
I cannot understand the negative expressions of people who out of ignorance disapprove of George Best. In his time he filled peoples hearts with joy through his footballing gift. In what should have been his private life he had a personal problem. Simple as that! If you want to criticise someone choose the people who gave him the liver. Not George for accepting it. What the F.... would you do?
Old 27-Nov-2005, 18:46
Big Twin

Mood: Channel Swim is now a (bad) memory not a dream
I've been biting my lip for a bit, but have to reply to this. I'm not surprised, but I am saddened by some of the comments in this post.

Firstly, yes I have first hand experience of this and have lived with the effects of it every day for the past 30 years. Anything that we recognise as an addiction is impossibly complex to 'cure'. Despite knowing someone in a very sad posiiton, I still like a drink like a lot of people, but I've no idea what stops me being addicted to something that is proven to be a habitual 'drug' and others in some way sucumb to it.

Few could dispute GB's footballing skills, even Pele said he was the best he'd ever played against in I think the world biggest sport, possibly the second best player ever, he was truly a genius with a ball at his feet, nobody in the sport has come close since. I wonder what he'd have been like in this generation with all the awareness and support that is available. Still he had that during the second half of his life and it only prolonged the inevitable.

To have no knowledge of the organ donor process, it must be enlightening to be able to pass judgement the way some have done. In any case, classic hindsight, I admire your ability to have read into the future at that point and realised that the transplant wasn't going to save the life of the second best ever footballer in the world - it may well have been the moment of truth that he was searching most of his life for. Sadly it wasn't.

As for the comments on 'fat' people, well they're just extraordinary. I suppose rape victims deserve it because they were wearing a short skirt and the homeless shouldn't be given anything because they obviously brought it upon themselves and of course all aids victims knew what they were doing. I suppose none of you drink, smoke, eat too much fatty food, too much salt etc. (or ride a bike as some have pointed out)

It must be great being you, with your perfect values and perfect lifestyle, it must be overwhelming to have such high morals all the time, I wish you well.

I hope George's family and friends don't read this post.

Rest in Peace George.

WeeJohnyB

[Edited on 27-11-2005 by WeeJohnyB]

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit