Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 14-Jul-2006, 12:14
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
I wish i could be taken as seriously as a real racer................
Old 14-Jul-2006, 12:35
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
I'm not convinced a 'split' start would help with the series currently, mostly due to the difference between the 'fast' and the 'back runners' in the series.

Phil/Andy/Griif etc would be catching the other guys after 1.5 laps.... Now, IMO it's different for Phil and the lads to be trying to overtake the 620's who are farily close to their pace, as they'll be running simillar braking markers, turn ins etc etc... To overtake some of the back markers, lets face it they have less mid corner speed, likely the lines are not as good, and power out of the corners isn't as good, i think it would cause tooo many issues.

Becauseof the wide range of speed in DD series, i think it's a bad idea.

2 grids obviously is the ideal scenario, but the current system is the best of the rest...

(no, before anyone has a dig at me, i'm NOT having a pop at the back runners)
Old 14-Jul-2006, 12:43
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: What a wonderful world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP
The day the 583's are faster around the track than the 620's they should get grid priority

Priority must go to the class with the more entrants, not with the fastest bikes. It's called democracy.

In France, 217 years ago today, we took possesion of the Le Mans Control tower (or maybe it was La Bastille) and started cutting heads of the 620s owners (or maybe it was the Lords)...

Old 14-Jul-2006, 13:01
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by weeksy2
Phil/Andy/Griif etc would be catching the other guys after 1.5 laps.... Now, IMO it's different for Phil and the lads to be trying to overtake the 620's who are farily close to their pace, as they'll be running simillar braking markers, turn ins etc etc... To overtake some of the back markers, lets face it they have less mid corner speed, likely the lines are not as good, and power out of the corners isn't as good, i think it would cause tooo many issues.

That's precisely the reason that it's a good idea!!

The faster 583's will find it far easier to get past the slower 620's BECAUSE they're not so late on the brakes or early on the throttle.

It's harder to pass a 620 that is more your pace for that very reason - they're running your pace.

The only downside I can think of from running a delayed start, is that more 583's are likely to lose a lap - as the 620's will have a 10-15 second head start, so will come around to lap people quicker.

Otherwise, I think a delayed start is better for everyone.
Old 14-Jul-2006, 13:55
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
But its hard to pass a 620 on a 583 that is running marginally slower than you as they get to the corner first, this means yor lap times drop to the same as theirs and you effectively wait for them to make a mistake, while the 620 you passed a lap a go manages to catch back up with you and blast past you on the straight.
As the slower class B runners have paid the same as everyone else to enter either a 6 or 8 lap race then that is what they should be entitled to get, but giving faster bikes a 15 to 20 second head start futher reduces the chance of this happening when compared to single grids.

If having split starts then ideally the 583s should be at the front of the grid as it will be easier for riders on 620s to pass those they catch up with.

As I said before if running combined grids the 620s a row or two behind the 583s still get to the first corner ahead as they win the drag race, not only do they have more power but the 6 speeders can effectively run a lower first gear for better acceleration off the line.

And when a rider on a 620 starts riding defensively to keep the 583 behind its a real pi55er

Its a shame we have lost so many riders from the series already this year as with the new entrants that have now joined or are joining the series we may have stood a chance of seperate grids.

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 14-Jul-2006, 14:02
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Its a shame we have lost so many riders from the series already this year as with the new entrants that have now joined or are joining the series we may have stood a chance of seperate grids.

slightly off topic... maybe another thread....

Reasons why ?
Old 14-Jul-2006, 14:03
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
I can only say that my experience of riding a slower and smaller bike in S-o-T classes was that it was a pain despite split grids, delayed starts etc. Inevitably, slower riders on faster bikes resulted in traffic jams, near misses and lost lap times. On several occasions I lost places because of it and in the end resorted to having to be pretty hard on some riders in order to make a move stick so, I could get on wth the job of racing/chasing after a fellow minitwin rider.

Separate races is the only sensible solution.
Old 14-Jul-2006, 14:06
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by twpd

Separate races is the only sensible solution.

they can only ask for it if they fill more spaces on the Grid mate... without that, NE are going to tell them to ****** off as they have done most of this season.
Old 14-Jul-2006, 14:12

Mood: 50 bpm...
Quote:
Originally Posted by weeksy2
Reasons why ?

Desmo Due probably has more first timers racing than most other classes, so there are no doubt some riders who try it and decide it isn't their bag for whatever reason. They still get the 'I raced bikes' kudos to dine out on for a few years if they wish to.

Everybody tells you how much racing costs, but it is still a shock when it really does cost that much or more, so there must be some people who plain run out of budget.

As a series that is geared primarily towards the absolute beginner, it is also possible that some people will get the bug and move on to different classes.
Old 14-Jul-2006, 14:12
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

I don't see how setting the 583's off first would ever be a sensible option.

Can you imagine 15+ 620 riders carving through a field of novices on slow bikes?

You're clearly not well