Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 01-Nov-2006, 21:49
DSC Club Member
Mille
Bikes: 748 sp,748 bip , 600ss dd,speed triple.

Mood: neeeeeeed piiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiie
Thumbs up

mine too is a bip but says 748s on frame
Old 01-Nov-2006, 22:02
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonye
It doesn't ... the sticker on the frame by your right foot is just the frame number and that has nothing to do with the spec of the bike.

Pre-2000 the 748 was available as either Biposto or SPS.
Post-2000 the 748 was available as E (same as Biposto), S or R.

E/Bip = three spoke gold wheels, gold frame
S = 5 spoke grey wheels, grey frame, TiN forks, SPS engine parts
R = 5 spoke grey wheels, grey frame, Ohlins forks & shock*, silly engine - Ti parts, overhead shower injectors, large capacity airbox, etc, etc

*except 2000 when some had Showa forks.

I don't think antonye's right about the "E". i think by the time the "E" came out, they werre all grey frames and grey (3-spoke) wheels.

At any rate, "S" models were certainly available in biposto or monoposto form. But "S" bikes have Marchesinis and adjustable steering heads, which "E" bikes don't.
Old 02-Nov-2006, 10:18
500SD

Mood: #73 Class A newbie: I'm fitting seatbelts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC
My 748 bip was a 99 plate with the s sticker on the frame. Came with adjustable head angle etc.

Mind you, I think that the frame is the only thing left standard now!

I think mine has as well!
I had a 2001 748E previously and the steering damper was locked in place, HOWEVER on the 1998 748BP I now have (with the S in the frame number), the damper has 2 mounting positions. I presume it's to allow for the change in steering geometry?
Old 02-Nov-2006, 10:26
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunforhire
I think mine has as well!
I had a 2001 748E previously and the steering damper was locked in place, HOWEVER on the 1998 748BP I now have (with the S in the frame number), the damper has 2 mounting positions. I presume it's to allow for the change in steering geometry?

Yes, all the "old" (to 2000) 748 range had adjustable steering head angles but the later E bikes didn't as part of the cost saving exercise.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 02-Nov-2006, 10:29
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto748
I don't think antonye's right about the "E". i think by the time the "E" came out, they werre all grey frames and grey (3-spoke) wheels.

Maybe, but certainly the majority of E models will have gold frame and wheels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moto748
At any rate, "S" models were certainly available in biposto or monoposto form. But "S" bikes have Marchesinis and adjustable steering heads, which "E" bikes don't.

All models were available in Mono or Biposto (single or dual seat) versions, but only the R bikes comes as Monos as standard. You can order a single seat for a biposto or a dual seat for an R if you really wanted. That had nothing to do with the specification of the bike itself though.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 02-Nov-2006, 20:55
Big Twin

its not just the sticker on the frame, the actual frame number probably reads 748S**** this frame number was used for std bip's also, the fact you have a reciept for the termis or whatever they are suggests the bike might have has the right kinda history. u just need to compare them to someone else bike that has propper termis to tell if they are the real thing or not the most obvious differances are the ends / exit nossles ( or whatever they are called) the weave in the carbon and the trim that are riveted at the front and rear of the carbon tube, if these all match they are probably termis.
Old 03-Nov-2006, 16:06
Bevel Head

mine is a 1998 bip and has S on the sticker maybe Mr ducati made up too many stickers and couldnt be arsed to change em