Ducati Sporting Club UK
Idle Chat
Still needs to be clean and of value to the club.

Old 23-Feb-2006, 21:29

Speeding advice please

6 points already, just been tugged for 110.... guess Im looking at a ban and fine?

Situation : 3am, dry (M1 near Leceister) been travelling at 90 for miles on cruise control when I notice car behind, considered it might be police but as it was there for sometime with no action so decided it wasn't....came to overtake someone and stupidly decided to test my cars acceleration ( why didnt I just cruise by ... Doh boredom I guess) anyway hit 110 for a few seconds then instant blue flashing lights....Severley gutted!

Question
1. any one have any experience of magistrates in this area
2. how much fine
3. how much ban
4. is it worth getting legal representation or just admit guilt by post.
5. is it poss to review video evidence

Please feel free to take the **** to lift my mood....
Old 23-Feb-2006, 21:43
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

The exact same thing happened to me about 18 months ago, almost word for word.

I was on 6 points.

I had been doing 90 with an unmarked car following me, but he was too close for my liking, so I decided to pull away a bit and then carry on my merry way.

Anyway this car just stuck to my ass - too close I thought to be a copper and then I was pulled for 112mph - I have no idea why I did it either as I normally slow right down and force em to overtake.

Anyway - I got away with it! I waited for weeks and weeks, but nothing ever arrived.

Unfortunately for me, I then got snapped by the same camera 2 days running which landed me on 12 points. Luckily had a good lawyer via the union and they stuck me on 12 points, with no ban & £500 fine.

Good luck

[Edited on 23-2-2006 by domski]
Old 23-Feb-2006, 21:45

Thx Dseered,
Domski... me too but not for speeding thou.... I have suddenley got religous and pray to the big red ducati in the sky for that result evry nite
Old 23-Feb-2006, 21:46
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

Now, if you were an imigrant with no insurance in a stolen car and killed someone, you'd be out in 6 weeks.

Something aint quite right is it!?!?!

Old 23-Feb-2006, 21:48
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
SPEED KILLS!!!! OFF WITH HIS HEAD!!! HANGINGS TOO GOOD FOR EM!!!!

© Daily Mail
Old 23-Feb-2006, 22:09
Ducati Corse

Dom, if they stop you i think they have up to six months to serve the NIP. Something like that anyhow!
Old 23-Feb-2006, 22:12
DSC Club Member
WSB Hero

2 weeks it is

...unless thats just gatsos?

[Edited on 23-2-2006 by domski]
Old 23-Feb-2006, 22:22
Ducati Corse

I thought that if they stopped you and cautioned you then it was six months, if they don't stop you (gatso etc) then it is the 14 days thing.
Old 23-Feb-2006, 22:26
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Now if you were cynical you would wonder why they did not pull you at 90mph ... either good guys or they know it would be 3 points and £60 .... over 97mph automatic court appearance

Get a good lawyer and throw yourself on the mercy of the court. Try to explain the circumstances, don't try to defend what you did ... there is no defence. Expect to pay £450 to £700 for a good lawyer.

You need to consider which outcome you'd like, a short ban or go for points and fine. One consideration would be your insurance in the future.

I was prosecuted for doing 128mph, result was 6 points and £220 fine plus costs. When I told my insurance there was no effect at all. I asked what would have it cost me if I had recieved a short ban, say ... 21 days .... result, no insurance, will not insure banned riders

Back ground info :

Started with a clean license and claimed that it was a momentary slip of concentration and that I doubted I ever exceeded 95mph.

All the best mate
Old 23-Feb-2006, 22:33
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
Quote:
Originally posted by rockhopper
I thought that if they stopped you and cautioned you then it was six months, if they don't stop you (gatso etc) then it is the 14 days thing.

Yea, the one that stopped me claimed he cautioned me at the time which he did not .... he then used everything I'd said at the time against me in court

Really strange how many of the details changed when we were in court. OK, I stretched the max speed I was doing, the cop lied about cautioning me, traffic conditions, he also claimed he said he was going to summons me at the time (which he did not) but this served as a Notice of Intent to Prosecute.

Have a feeling the court knew he was not being 100% straight, but, they could not get away from the fact I was speeding. I do feel that this went in my favor and why I got points rather than a ban.

Postbit Selector
Switch to Vertical postbit Use Vertical Postbit